18. Build It Up

Fear is a crazy feeling
Oh it will drag you down
But it won't last forever
Though it's gotten pretty rough
I can't wish to fly
But I'm gonna spread my wings
And we ain't giving up till we've seen it all
We can build it up
When it feels like breaking down
-Build it up
-Monark

•••••

I stared with an open mouth, my eyes practically bulging out of their sockets, at the person I least expected would want to help me.

Maybe this was a trap after all, or some sick joke.

The corner of Trevor's lips twitched, but other than that he stood motionlessly next to Kyle. His black hair was spiked up and his shirt slightly creased over blue jeans.

"Hello Riley," he smiled wryly.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, still not over the fact that Trevor was indeed standing before me and I wasn't dreaming.

"I'm here to feed baby elephants," he said sarcastically, "what do you think I'm here for?"

I rolled my eyes at his sarcastic remark.

"Do you expect me to believe everyone when they say you're here to help me, when we both know you hate me? Why would you want to help me?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

Ryder shifted uneasily beside me, while Kyle looked confused as to what was going on.

"Let's just say I want you around as much as you want to be around Brandon, and without me you have no hope of getting out of his trap."

I stared at Trevor suspiciously, not fully trusting him. The guy has hated me for three years! Why would he suddenly try to help me? Even if he was serious about helping me, at what price would his help come?

"Can I have a moment alone to speak with Trevor?" I asked, looking at Ryder and Kyle.

Ryder and Kyle looked uneasily at each other, but started to slowly make their way towards the basement steps. I kept my eyes on Trevor, waiting for him to crack a smile at my idiocy to trust him, but he stood with a neutral expression on his face maintaining eye contact with me.

"I'm guessing you need an explanation?" Trevor asked.

I nodded stiffly.

Trevor sighed, "Last week when I heard you talking to Kodak, I realized that this was my opportunity to finally get rid of you. No more chasing you all over the world, no more psychotic Brandon and no more worrying over when it will all end-"

"Wait, you think Brandon turning psychotic is my fault?" I asked, offended.

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Before he met you, he never was obsessive over anything-"

"That's not true!" I yelled.

Trevor held up his hands to stop me from yelling at him.