13. In the Dark

I can see you're scared of your emotions
I can see you're hoping you're not hopeless
So why can't you show me?
Why can't you show me?
I can see you're looking for distractions
I can see you're tired of the acting
So why can't you show me?
Who are you in the dark?
Show me the scary parts
-In the dark
-Camila Cabello

•••••

"Ryder, can you hurry up already?" I asked, from where I was standing by the front door.

"Can you relax? I'm almost done!" Ryder exclaimed, from behind the closed door of his room.

I rolled my eyes and mumbled a string of profanities.

"You know, I can just leave you and take your car to the warehouse," I said to the walls.

"If you come near my baby, I will murder you," Ryder warned, opening his door and coming out of his room.

He wore a grey hoodie and a pair of black trunks to fight in. His hair was slightly damp from the shower he had taken earlier on, I don't even know who takes a shower before fighting but I didn't question him.

"Finally," I said sarcastically, "I should have just gone with Violet."

Ryder rolled his eyes and used the key I had given him to my-

Our apartment to unlock the front door.

"Maybe you should have. It would have saved me a hell of a lot brain cells, I usually waste on you," he said, already leading the way to the elevator as if he's lived here for weeks.

Once we got into the elevator and began the slow descend to the parking lot, I opened my mouth to retaliate.

"Maybe if you never opened your big mouth at lunch, I would be with her."

"It just came out okay! That doesn't usually happen, I don't know what came over me," Ryder said defensively.

I turned away from him, not willing to continue arguing with him when he could very well kill me because he was driving us to the warehouse.

Ryder got into his car, and when I was halfway in he already started the car and pressed the accelerator.

"What the hell? Are you trying to kill me?" I asked, gasping from the mini heart attack I experienced.

He gave me a sickly sweet smile.

"Oops? My foot slipped," Ryder said, and sped down the road once I was safely buckled into the passenger seat.

I braced myself against the door when Ryder swerved in between cars and kept switching lanes. He didn't bother about the speed limits, or paid attention to the cars which here hooting at him.

"Can you slow down?" I asked him breathlessly.

He smirked and gradually got faster as he swerved.