Chapter 5

(Y/N)'s Pov

The three of us walked into a fancy looking cafe. We sat down and it was silent for a second, before Light said:

"This coffee shop is one of my favourites! And if we sit here, no one can listen in to our conversation".

"Thanks for showing us this place", L said. "I can see why you like it".

"Also, no one's gonna give you a hard time about the way you sit", Light said, laughing and pointing to L.

"I don't sit like this because I want to, I have to sit like this", L says. "If I were to sit normally, my deductive skills will immediately be reduced by roughly 40%".

'That sounds really odd', I thought. 'But who am I to judge the world's greatest detective?!'

"You don't talk much, do you Yuki?" Light looked at me, and gave me a warm smile to be nice

But the look in his eyes looked like he didn't want me to be here.

"W-Well-"

"You stutter a lot too. It might be difficult for you to work on the Kira case if you stutter like this".

"Yuki is just very shy", L stated. "There's nothing wrong with that".

"Mmm hmm!" I nodded at L.

"But I'm sure she'll break out of her shell soon", L said, picking up his cup of tea and sipping it.

Light just shot me a look I couldn't really describe.

'Honestly, I want to arrest him right here and now, but I can't do that! I need proof that he's Kira!' I thought.

"Yeah, but I just want Yuki to know that it'll be hard to work on a case that requires a lot of cooperation and talking", Light said.

"I-I know! I-I'm t-trying m-my best!" I stutter.

"We don't judge people at the taskforce. We all just care about the amount of work they do. And Yuki puts a lot of effort into her work. She is an excellent member of the taskforce", L stated.

I blushed a little and formed a small smile.

"Whatever. So, what do you want to talk about?" Light asked.

"Would you mind if I do a little test on your deductive skills?" L asks.

"Sure, why not?" Light replied, sipping the coffee from his cup.

"Alright then. We can start by taking a look at these", L took three pieces of paper out of his pocket and placed them on the table.

"Photographs of three notes sent by Kira's victims before they were killed. No of these were made public".

I had never seen these before myself. I wonder what they showed.

Light picked up the photographs and began looking through them.

"You can take as long as you want to look them over. Please let us know what you think", L said.

"Very interesting", Light said, then putting the photographs down.

"You have a look too Yuki", L said.

I picked up the photographs and had a look at them.

"You go first Yuki", Light said, sitting back and folding his arms.

'Is he mocking me or something?' I thought.

"W-Well, I think th-that K-Kira may b-be m-mocking L!" I began.

"Go on..." L said.

"I-If y-you ar-arrange the photographs i-in this o-o-order, you g-get a message", I say, placing the photos in a certain order. "T-Take a look a-at the f-first word of each ph-photo and it r-reads:

"L, D-Do You Know, Gods Of D-Death, Love A-Apples!"

"Yeah, I came to the same conclusion", Light said.

"Almost, but that's not quite correct", L said.

"Huh?" Light and I were puzzled.

"There were four photographs", L said, pulling another piece of paper out of his pocket.

"If we add this one, the message reads:

"L, Do You Know, Gods Of Death, Love Apples, And Have Red Hands".

I gasped.

"I-I didn't think of th-that!" I say, fiddling with my fingers.

"That's alright Yuki. You did well", L replied.

Light just looked at us, and didn't say anything.

"Since we only had three photos to work with, our deduction should have been right!" He said.

"No", L said. "The truth is, there were four photographs. If you figured that out, it would have been right".

Light sighed.

"Alright, you got me. I never thought of that. But to be honest, I don't think this little message will make a big difference. I mean, everyone knows Gods Of Death don't exist", he said, picking up his cup of coffee and sipping it.

"Hmm", I simply reply.

"If you were me, faced with someone who might be Kira, how would you go about establishing that person's innocence or guilt to be absolutely sure?" L asked Light.

Light put his cup down. "I would try and get them to talk about things that weren't made public. Something that only Kira could know. Kind of like what you were doing just now".

"Interesting. I've asked many detectives that same question, and it took most of them minutes to even come up with an answer", L said. "But you Light, you immediately thought of an answer, almost as if Kira is speaking directly to the investigator. I'm impressed. You'll make a fine detective Light".

Light chuckled a little.

"But, that just makes me seem more like Kira doesn't it?" Light asked.

"Yes, it's about 3% now", L said.
"However, it's also made me that much more willing to have you cooperate with us on this investigation".

"Yeah, if I agree to help, I might be able to push the investigation forward. And if I'm Kira, I might reveal myself. In other words, whether I'm Kira or not, you're offering me to join either way", Light said.

"But, to be honest, neither of you have been able to prove to me that you aren't Kira!" Light pointed at L and then me.

"I do wanna help with the case, but if you can't prove to me that you aren't Kira, then I can't help you. I'm not Kira, and I certainly don't wanna be killed by him! I don't even know if you're the real L too! This could all just be a setup. I would be much more convinced if my father, or someone from the taskforce confirmed your identity".

'Light sure talks a lot, doesn't he. I bet L suspects him more', I thought.

"I never said you couldn't meet anyone from the taskforce that could confirm my identity", L said. "I'm currently working alongside your father and several other members as well as Yuki-"

L got cut off by his phone ringing.

"Excuse me", he said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out his phone.

Not long after, Light's phone rang.

"There goes mine!" He said, grabbing his phone.

My phone rang too!

"H-Huh?" I reached for my phone and the three of us answered our phones at the same time.

"Ryuzaki, I have some bad news", I could hear Watari say from L's phone.

"Yuki! Something terrible has happened!" I hear Matsuda shout.

I gasp and turn to Light!

"Light-" I begin.

"Light, your father!" L shouted.

"My father...he had a heart attack...!" Light whispered.