Chapter 10

"I am Kira", the tape said. "The true Kira. The one that appeared on Sakura TV a few days ago was a fake! A copycat! And I cannot forgive him for stooping so low!"

All of us at headquarters watched carefully.

"If this copycat claims to be of some help to me, I'll ask two things of him:
That he refrains from killing endlessly, and that he agrees to follow my rules".

I listened very closely to this tape while fidgeting with my fingers.

'This tape does sound a lot like something Kira would say', I thought.
'Does this make Light seem more like Kira?'

'Well, this is all just an act and Light had to write a script that the second Kira would believe was the real one. Light had to write the script as if he were Kira. I shouldn't really be suspecting Light because of this tape'.

"Now all we have to do is wait for a reply!" Matsuda said.

"Do you think it worked though?" Aizawa asked.

"I'm pretty sure it did", the chief said.

-A day later-

"Ryuzaki! We have a reply from the second Kira!" Watari said, through a laptop this time.

"That was fast!" Light said.

Everyone crowded around the laptop to listen.

"Kira, thank you for your reply", the message said. "Please do not worry, I will follow orders and do as you say".

Matsuda, Aizawa and I gasped.

"It did work!" Aizawa said, amazed.

I could see Light from the corner of my eye. He appeared to look quite...pissed?

"I really want to meet you", the message said.

"I don't think you have the eyes, but you shouldn't worry, because I would never try to kill you!"

Everyone in the room gasped, even L!

"What's this, 'having the eyes' supposed to mean?" Aizawa asked.

"I-I don't know", Matsuda said.

"I want to be able to meet you without the police knowing", the message continued.

"And when we meet, we can confirm our identities by showing our Shinigami to each other".

L gasped.

"Shinigami?!" Matsuda and Aizawa gasped.

"Wh-What is he t-talking about?!" I gasp.

Suddenly, L threw his arms up in the air and started screaming. He fell back in his chair. I rushed over to him.

"A-Are you okay?" I asked him.

L sat up, still terrified.

"Sh-Shinigami?!" He said, his voice shaking. "Am I supposed to believe that?! That Shinigami actually exist?!"

I offer to help L up, my face going slightly red. He took my hand and I pulled him up, blushing even more.

"Shinigami don't exist!" Aizawa said, folding his arms.

"He's right Ryuzaki", Light said. "He must be using these words to confuse us".

L turned his head slowly to look at Light.

"Yes. But Kira did have criminals send suicide notes that showed a message about Shinigami", L said.

"I-It's okay", I say to L, trying to calm him down. Seeing L this scared, scared me!