Chapter 26

(A/N): Just wanna say that (H/C) stands for your home country or the country that you live in.

(Y/N)'s Pov

"The police have officially given up now", the Chief said.

"WHAT?!" Aizawa and Matsuda gasped.

"H-Huh?!" I gasped and turned around in my spinny chair.

L and Light also turned around in surprise.

"Aizawa, Matsuda, if you want to continue going after Kira, you need to join me...

And resign from the NPA!"

Matsuda, Aizawa and I gasped.

"We're no longer able to seriously work on this case as police officers", the Chief said.

"What do you mean?" Aizawa asked, shocked.

"Yeah...Aren't we working this case because we're the police?" Matsuda asked.

"It's simple. I was told we'd be fired if we continue to work alongside L", the Chief stated.

"D-Don't you th-think th-they m-may h-have been th-th-threatened by K-Kira t-to say th-these th-things?" I ask, playing with the collar of my shirt. I was trying to make a conversation.

"Maybe, but that's the decision from the top", The Chief said.

"And you intend on quitting Cheif?" Matsuda asked.

"That's right. Soon, I will no longer be your Cheif", he said.

"Each of you have your own life. Take your time to decide. We aren't just risking our lives", the Chief said.

"Yeah. Especially when yo have a family to support", Matsuda said.

"And Yuki..."

I stop playing with my shirt and jump and the sound of my alias.

"Y-Yes...?"

"You have to think this over too".

I jump. I am a police officer, but I'm not a part of the NPA. I'm not from Japan after all. So why do I have to decide?

"I think you should all go back to the NPA", L said.

We all turned around to face him.

"B-But I-I'm not a p-part o-of the NPA. Wh-What about m-me?" I ask.

"If the police are no longer going after Kira, then you should return to the police in (H/C) Yuki. It would be for the best".

I was quite taken aback by L's words. He's been really kind to me and even showed a different side around me that no one's known before, and now he's trying to get rid of me?!

I felt my eyes start to water.

'No! Don't cry! Not here!'

"Y-You w-want t-to get r-rid o-of me?!" I struggle to get the words out of my mouth as I could feel a tear roll down my cheek.

"I'm not saying that", L said. His eyes were still on his computer so he didn't notice me. "I was all alone when I started this case. Almost every police officer has turned their back to me. And although I am greatful for all the help you have all given me. I know I'll be able to continue this case on my own".

I couldn't take it anymore. Tears began to fall down my cheeks.
I started sobbing.

L turned to face me.

"Why are you crying Yuki?"

"I-I wanna c-catch K-Kira! I d-don't wanna g-go b-back h-home yet!"

"Yuki..."