Chapter 31

(Y/N)'s Pov

'What is he doing?'

I hesitantly walk over to L. He was just staring into the dark sky.

He then noticed me.

Uh oh.

"I told you not to follow me", L said to me.

"I-I j-just got w-worried..." I say, looking at the ground.
"Y-You s-seemed u-upset!"

L just looked at the ground.

"Wh-What a-are you d-doing here a-anyway? It-It's cold! L-Let's g-go back i-inside!"

"I hear bells", L said, looking up at the sky.

I tilt my head in confusion.

"They're very loud today".

I couldn't hear anything.

"You can't hear it, can you (Y/N)?"

I shook my head.

There was silence for a moment. Has something happened to L?

"(Y/N)..."

"Y-Yeah?"

L turned to face me.

"We'll be parting ways soon".

"H-Huh?!"

I was taken aback by that statement. I almost fell over.

"Wh-What do y-you m-mean b-by that?!" I ask, nervously.

"It'll almost be time to say goodbye", L replied with a small, sad smile.

'Does that mean we're going to die?! What does this mean?!'

L walked over to me and grabbed my wrists.

"(Y/N), since we will be going our separate ways soon, I want to spend this moment with you".

Before I could say anything, I was brought into a hug. L hugged me tightly, like he didn't want to let me go. And if he did, it would be like he lost everything...

I didn't know how to react. I just stood there, in shock, and accepted the hug.

L then broke the hug and grabbed my hands.

"It was fun working with you (Y/N)", L said, tilting his head to the side a little and giving me that sad, small smile again.

I could feel tears forming in my eyes and my breathing got shaky.
I don't want this to be the end!!

"I...I..."

I then felt the tears fall down my cheeks.

"N-No...!"

"Please don't cry (Y/N). It'll be okay", L wiped my tears away and caressed my cheek.

I just sobbed like an idiot.

"This case will be solved soon...I promise".

L then leaned in and gently kissed me. I had grown to accept being kissed now, but I was still quite shocked.

As L broke away, I honestly thought I saw tears form in L's eyes. It must've just been the rain though. I'm certain L doesn't cry.

I then looked at the ground in a mixture of sadness and embarrassment. There was nothing I could do to help L. It was like he knew when we were going to die...

"I also want to thank you (Y/N)", L said.

"H-Huh?"

"You've been very helpful to the case. And besides that, you've also been very helpful to me. You are very kind and trustworthy".