Sacrifice

Thud, Mai fell to the ground. Sora let go of his Keyblade and ran to her. Riku stood there unable to move and unable to believe that it was half his fault. Sora skidded and kneeled to the ground. He held her and started to shake her. "Mai!" She twitched but only opened her eyes slightly. Through her vision, she could see Sora's blue eyes brimming with tears and dripping onto her cheek; they felt so warm. "Mai, what did you do?" He asked scolding her and she smiled weakly.

"Remember..." She gulped and pursed her lips. "...that me... and Kenji... wouldn't let...you fight...each other..."

"Mai, what's going to happen?" If she had the energy she would have laughed at that stupid question.

"What's done...is done..." She mumbled. Kenji stood and ran to her.

"Mai, please! You can't die!" He held her hand. "Please! You and Kairi are all I've got!"

"Noel... It's okay..." He gasped at this.

"You remembered me!" He said happily. but that happiness was short lived as Mai coughed harshly scaring all of them. Riku stood behind Noel.

"I don't want you to die!" Sora shouted and she shook her head. "I still haven't told you what I've felt!"

"...There's no way...to save me now...it's finished...I'm..." Riku shook his head and fell down onto his knees. He felt the tears that started to fall down his cheeks.

"No, don't say it! You won't die, I won't let you." She laughed quietly at this and shook her head.

"You can't, I'm already dying." This sent chills down their spines and she held Sora's hand too. A tear fell down her cheek and she gasped for a bit of air. "I always wanted..."

She looked at her friends with a smile. "...I always wished...that us three, only us three would be together. And... I'm glad I remembered you... Noel... I wished... I would remembered... it seems that...my wishes has come true...on my deathbed." Noel and Sora held her hands tighter and tears fell down her cheeks. "...Sora... you and Riku... always noticed Kairi...it was as if...I was never there and...It was as if I never existed... but then...only then...you..." She looked up at Sora. "...started talking to me and making me feel as if I was special..." But then she frowned. "...But I knew that I could never replace Kairi in your lives...even though she was the one who replaced me..."

Her breathing came out in shaky and uneven breathes and she smiled as the tears kept on falling. "But now...it doesn't matter...You both can return to your normal lives with Kairi...because it doesn't matter if I die..."

"Mai!" They said unison.

"...You both can return to your normal lives, as if I don't exist... and Noel... can live with you guys, too." She took one of the last few breathe and a final tear was brimming in her eye. "...because I never truly existed...whenever she was there...did I?" She looked at Riku and Noel with a smile. "You'll...always be...my best friends..." The silver haired boy realised his mistake but what she said after made him regret everything he said. "You'll always be my friends... and Riku...even though...you did betray us..."

Mai turned to Sora with a smile and pink cheeks. "And you..." Her right hand reached his cheek as she cupped his face. "I'll...always..." She started to breathe very slowly. "...remember you because..." She was closing her eyes and losing her vision. "...you are..." He anticipated what she was going to say next. "...our ...I'm sorry... it's time..." She took one final breath and her final tear fell down her cheek. "Goodbye Riku... Noel...Sora..." Her hand left his cheek and fell to the ground. She laid there limp, cold and unresponsive; dead.

"No..."Sora whispered.

"Mai!" Riku and Noel shouted out.

"Mai!" Sora yelled and started crying. "No! Please, wake up! Wake up!" He held her head to his chest, "If you die, how am I supposed to tell you... I love you..."