CHAPTER TWO

trigger warning: physical abuse is shown in the chapter below.

THE open house turned out to be hosting a lot more people than Becca had anticipated. She silently thanked any deity that would listen that she had decided to bring Kevin along because there was no way she would have made it through the whole evening without wanting to drown herself in the punch bowl.

She hated parties, and she hated socializing even more.

"Hiram Lodge," Her father clapped a middle-aged man on the back as he turned around, "It's been awhile, hasn't it?"

Lodge turned around, a seemingly genuine smile on his features, "Rick! So glad you could come today. And you as well Melinda."

He shook both of her parent's hands before his eyes landed on her. On the way to the event, her father couldn't stop talking about how the two of them had been best friends, practically inseparable in high school. 'Hiram was the jock' he explained and then had pointed to himself proudly, 'and I was the nerd. Not even the teachers could get us to behave.'

"And this must be Rebecca," She gave him a slight smile, and shook his outstretched hand, "So lovely to meet you. Veronica tells me that you two are in the same grade. Maybe you could come by the Pembrooke sometime to have dinner."

Becca's smile tightened somewhat but internally she was throwing up at the idea of hanging out with Veronica Lodge of all people. Hell no.

"Maybe," She managed to stutter out after her father sent her a pointed look.

He looked between the three of them with a confused expression, "You have another kid right Rick? Reginald was his name?"

At her brother's name, Rick Mantle's smile tightened, "Yes. My son is currently busy with schoolwork though, so he won't be able to make it."

Hiram nodded thoughtfully, turning as his wife whispered something into his ear.

"Kevin and I are going to get some drinks," Becca patted her dad on his shoulder and he nodded absentmindedly as the Lodges and Mantles began to discuss business.

Kevin, who looked stunning in his tux, guided the pair over to the punch bowl.

"This party is quite something," He commented, handing her a champagne flute filled with a yellow bubbling liquid.

"Yeah, something terrible," She grumbled, downing the glass in a very un-ladylike fashion.

"Oh, lighten up Bec. It's time you got out of that tech lair you call your room and into the real world. Ya know, with boys and such. Speaking of which..." Kevin eyed a dark-haired boy from across the room, "I'll be right back."

"No wait Kevin!" Becca called after him uselessly as he made his way over to the other boy.

She sighed, looking around again and sipping from her newly refilled glass. It wasn't that she was antisocial...okay maybe she was. The party was just making her a bit nervous and along with the dress, itchy beyond belief. Becca was more of a stay at home and eat pizza type of girl rather than a partier. Even if it was just a business open house.

"I know you from school, right?" A voice said behind her and she turned to see none other than Veronica Lodge in a silk black dress and a silver necklace.

Oh, great.

"You're Reggie's little sister," She stated, a gracious smile on her red-painted lips, "Veronica Lodge."

She held out her perfectly manicured hand and Becca hesitantly shook it.

"Yeah, Rebecca Mantle," She introduced through gritted teeth, "Just call me Becca though."