CHAPTER FOURTEEN

BECCA'S phone buzzed with a text from Kevin as she threw open the doors of Riverdale High to leave.

Kevs💁🏻‍♂️: Just got done with wrestling practice. Do you wanna go to Pops with me? I need your help on something.

To Kevs💁🏻‍♂️: Sure. I could use some sugary goodness in my life right about now.

Kevs💁🏻‍♂️: Everything ok??

To Kevs💁🏻‍♂️: Peachy. Meet you outside.

Everything was not, in fact, peachy.

She didn't know why she was so irritated and hurt and just generally a mess over what Sweet Pea had said. And the fact that he still hadn't apologized. Usually, she didn't care about what people thought of her. She'd been called plenty of names: 'nerd', 'geek', 'freak', 'teacher's pet', 'bitch', 'ass-kisser'. So, what? They had never meant anything to her and the only way she ever reacted to being called those names was to snap at whoever it was with a sarcastic comment. That usually did the trick and the other person ended up being more irritated than her.

But for some reason, she couldn't get what Sweet Pea had said out of her head. Becca didn't know why it bothered her, but it did. A lot.

"Hey Becs!" A sweaty Kevin greeted her, "Thanks for coming to Pop's with me, I really need your help on something."

She decided to put away her thoughts for the time being. Her best friend needed her help and she'd be damned if she let Sweet Pea control how she acted for the rest of the day.

"Hey Kev," She gave him a half-hearted smile, "No problem, you know I'm always down for a milkshake. What do you need help with?"

The two of them began to walk to Kevin's truck in the late afternoon sunlight.

"Well, this is going to sound weird, but I need you to help me find out where I know Chic from. Ya know, Betty's long-lost, absolutely gorgeous brother?" He gave her a sheepish smile, "It's just been bothering me lately and I'm sure it's nothing, but I want Betty to be as safe as possible with him around. Especially because it seems like she doesn't really know who he is."

Becca's eyebrows raised in interest, "Of course I can help. Do you have your laptop with you?"

Kevin patted his bag and gave her a reassuring smile.

"Alright, well let's find out if Betty Cooper has been catfished."

---

The two sat across from each other in the diner, Becca tapping away on Kevin's laptop as he studied her closely while waiting for their food and milkshakes.

"Something's off with you," He spoke up suddenly, "I just can't seem to figure it out."

Becca stopped her typing and glanced briefly at him before continuing, staying silent the whole time.

"Wait, I know what it is," He leaned back, "It's the only thing that's been worrying you nowadays. Did something happen with Sweet Pea?"

Becca tried to keep it cool and play it off like it was nothing as she shook her head no.

"Nothing's wrong Kev now do you want me to help you or not?" She arched an eyebrow.

He sighed in defeat, "Yes. But this conversation isn't over. I know all your tricks Mantle."

She rolled her eyes but smiled nonetheless.

"So, let's start with where you think you know Chic's face from. Jughead mentioned the forests. Do you have a contact list for anyone you've met up with there?" Becca asked.