CHAPTER NINETEEN

"YOU really fucked up your bike," Becca commented, wiping her black stained hands off with a greasy towel.

After hours of twisting nuts and bolts and tedious handiwork on the gears, she'd finally found what the problem was. Everyone, including some of the older Serpents in the garage, had been incredibly impressed with her mechanical skills. The only downside was, the problem was a lot more complicated than what she could fix in a couple of hours. It was already getting late in the afternoon and she knew she had to get home soon or her family would start getting suspicious. She'd have to come by another time to finish the job.

"Yeah, well what else is new," Sweet Pea rolled his eyes, his hands also covered in dark stains after she had enlisted him to help.

"So, next week, maybe some time after school? Unless of course your busy schedule gets in the way," He chuckled, looking down on her.

Becca gave him a look but smirked nonetheless, "Yeah that should work."

"Becca, Sweet Pea, listen to this," Toni suddenly interrupted them, reading off from her phone, "'General Pickens' statue was found decapitated in the town graveyard early this morning. Police are looking into who might have stolen it, but so far there are no suspects.'"

Sweet Pea's jaw tightened, "No suspects my ass. We'll be the first and only ones on their lists."

"At least it got what it deserved," He looked beyond angry, "I'm just mad I didn't think of it myself."

"I can't say I feel sorry for the desecration of a statue of a murderer," Fangs spat, leaning back against the counter.

"Guys this is serious," Toni spoke up, "General Pickens may have deserved that, but his statue is on town property. The Mayor's going to be pissed about this."

"As will the Lodges who are most likely pulling her strings," Becca scowled, "I'll get an ear-ful of this when I get home, that's for sure."

Toni looked downcast and Becca remembered she had been the one defending her grandfather at the protest at Pickens Day. She felt like she needed to say something, even though it wasn't her fault.

"Hey, I'm sorry," She spoke up, turning to Toni, "you know, about Pickens Day and everything. Hiram should have kept his mouth shut. My father too."

The pink-haired girl looked up, her expression a mixture of confusion and surprise. She was at a loss for words. A Northsider saying they were sorry for Pickens Day? Now that was a new one.

"And tell your grandfather I'm still willing to fix his car," Becca smiled, "Free of charge. If he wants it."

Becca found that not only was Toni staring at her, but so were Fangs and Sweet Pea. Sweet Pea especially was studying her features quite closely, a small smile on his face.

"Thanks Becca," Toni's dark lips parted into a grin, lighting her whole face up, "That...means a lot coming from you."

"Yeah well someone's gotta apologize around here and it sure as hell won't be anyone else from my family," Becca looked down, suddenly finding the concrete floor to be very interesting.

Her phone buzzed with an incoming call and her expression dropped when she saw the caller ID. It was her father. Becca quickly answered it.

"Dad?" She asked and the trio of Serpents looked up sharply.

"Where are you? When Reggie and I got back from work you were gone without so much as a word to any of us," Her father sounded more irritated than outright mad.

"I told Reggie I was going over to Kevin's to study," Becca rolled her eyes. It was typical of her brother to forget things. A lot.

"Oh, well, I want you to come home. It's starting to get dark and I don't want you out at night," His tone had calmed a bit, though she could sense the edge in his voice.