CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

THE next night, Becca finished coding a virus for her and Betty's little break-in. Her father kept security cameras on the premises of Mantle's Automotives but she was confident once she got in to the main security unit on one of the outside walls that her virus could do it's magic. The cameras would keep rolling like nothing was happening, but they were going to be playing on a loop, instead of showing her and Betty breaking into to his office.

Luckily, her dad trusted her and Reggie enough to give them both keys to the garage just in case they wanted to work on the weekends he wasn't there. After that, Betty would be able to get the locks open with her bobby pins and the rest was history. The only problem was her sneaking out and making sure she wasn't seen or heard by anyone else in the house. They would never suspect their good little daughter of course. But Becca wasn't exactly the most graceful person in the world. One wrong step and she'd trip down the stairs, surely waking her sleeping family.

The door to her room suddenly swung open as her mother poked her head in.

Her eyes landed on Becca and she smiled, "Good-night sweetie. Don't be up too late with homework!"

"Of course, mom, good-night," She gave her the biggest smile she could muster, however it dropped as soon as the door closed again.

With the swift click of her mouse, the virus's coding downloaded to the USB drive she had plugged into her laptop.

Download 100% complete.

She smirked, taking the drive out.

---

Becca stood out in the cold, dark night shivering slightly underneath her dark jacket. She took another glance at the plastic watch on her wrist. Where the hell was Betty? The girls had agreed on meeting there around midnight, and it was now almost 12:30. She sighed, clutching the USB drive in her pocket with anticipation. If she didn't show up within the next fifteen minutes, she was going to have to brave it alone.

Suddenly headlights flashed in the distance and Becca ducked nervously behind a bush. If someone like Sheriff Keller saw her out here, she would be screwed for sure. The lights turned off though and only a few minutes later did Becca see the blonde ponytail.

"Where the hell have you been Cooper? I said midnight," Becca whispered sharply at the girl.

Betty looked like she had been through the ringer. There were dark circles under her eyes, and a paleness to her skin that Becca could only describe as sickly.

"Sorry," She apologized, "I had something to do first."

Becca studied her for a moment, at the way she was glancing nervously all around as if someone was going to pop out any second. Something was wrong with her, and Becca was sure it wasn't because they were about to break in to her father's business.

"Betty?" She asked, and the girl whipped her head back around, "Are you okay? You seem...off."

"I'm fine Becca, really," She replied all too quickly, "Let's just do this okay?"

Becca took a long look at her again, before nodding. After they had gotten what they needed, she'd make sure to question her later.

"This way," She gestured to her as Betty turned on her flashlight so that they could see better.

They weaved in and out of the luxury cars, and Becca felt a twinge of guilt at seeing them. It disappeared as fast as it came though as she thought back to what Sweet Pea had told her. Once she had gathered all of the evidence, she'd confront her father, and then possibly Sheriff Keller. The thought alone made her unbearably nervous.