CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

REGGIE'S fist connected with Sweet Pea's face with a loud, painful crunch. Though it must have hurt, Sweet Pea recovered quickly and took a swing at Reggie, knocking him down to the gym floor. The two of them began throwing punches at each other left and right, kicking and scratching in a brutal dog fight. By now the players had gathered around the pair and none of them were making any move to stop the fight.

Becca started running down the bleacher stairs, taking two at a time and pushing people out of the way who had stopped to stare at what was going on. She ran into Toni and Fangs on her way down and the three of them shared a pointed look before running across the gym floor and starting to shove some of the players aside.

"Hey, hey!" Coach Clayton tried to break the fight up, "What the hell do you two think you're doing!"

He dragged both of them up by their jerseys. Sweet Pea was starting to bruise on his right eye and face while Reggie had blood pouring down his nose and multiple cuts across his cheeks.

"In my office, now!" He yelled at them, pointing them to the locker rooms.

They each shot a glare at the other before reluctantly trudging in the direction he had pointed at.

"And as for you lot," He turned back to the other players, "Extra conditioning will be assigned tomorrow, now get out of here!"

Becca watched as the rest of the team hung their heads low and muttered bitterly to themselves.

"Becca! Are you okay?" She'd totally forgotten that Veronica was there as she had only been worried about Reggie and Sweet Pea.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine," She replied, waving her friend off as she jogged across the gym floor in her high heels.

"Well that was certainly enough excitement for one night," Her father seemed pleased with himself as he approached her, "Reggie got in a few good ones. I'll have a talk with Coach Clayton about his...punishment tomorrow."

Becca noticed the indignant expressions both Toni and Fangs now wore after overhearing her father's comments. Since when did he become such an asshole? Oh wait, he'd always been like that.

Becca crossed her arms, "There was no need for them to fight anyway. Reggie was just being his usual cocky, testosterone-filled self. It's not Sweet Pea's fault he's so much better than Reggie."

That had not been what her father wanted to hear, apparently.

"What has gotten into you, young lady?" He asked angrily, "If I didn't know any better, I would think you're defending one of those vile Serpents that's been halting construction on our project for weeks now."

"I'm stating the obvious, dad," Becca shot back, preparing to hurl another insult his way.

"Rebecca Mantle, you will not speak to your father that way," Her mother intervened, casting her a warning look, "We will discuss this later at home. Now come on."

Becca's fists clenched, wanting so badly to out her father then and there. But she still didn't know what exactly was going on with him, and she didn't want to confront him in front of the whole Riverdale student body to find out. Her days of worrying and nervousness had evolved into anger and frustration after his comments about Sweet Pea. It was so unlike her to get heated so quickly, but she'd been quiet for too long and armed with the knowledge of her father's infidelities, it gave her even more of a reason to be defiant.

With one last apologetic glance at Veronica, she followed her parents out and back to their perfect mansion on a hill.

---