CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

"FIFTEEN minutes to places!" Kevin's voice all but screamed into Becca's earpiece.

The dark-haired girl flinched slightly, ripping the stupid thing out of her ear and cursing her best friend to next week. She was currently trying to get all of the lights and microphones ready for the first scene and Kevin's yelling wasn't exactly helping. Becca had pulled the blinds closed around the control booth windows, knowing the Lodges and her family would want to wish her luck. She hoped this would deter them from coming by, but, as usual, she had no such luck.

"Rebecca," Her father's voice said behind her and she turned around to see him standing in the doorway. Her mother stood beside him with a grin and an arm around Reggie's bicep, no doubt having to drag him everywhere. Her brother barely gave her a glance and a half-hearted smile. By the bags under his eyes and the miserable look on his face, she could tell there was nothing more he wanted to do than go back home and sleep off his hangover. He hadn't even been up when she left that afternoon around four. Clearly the Bulldogs' drinking games had taken a toll on him.

"Hi dad," She replied in a forced tone before her voice lightened, "Hi mom, Reg, hope you guys enjoy the show tonight."

"I'm sure we will honey," Her mother nearly squealed, pulling Becca into her arms to give her a tight hug. She was startled by the sudden act of affection, but a genuine smile formed on her face at it. Melinda Mantle was the only parent who had never disappointed her (cooking not included), and while her mom could be a bit air-headed at times, she'd never consciously done anything to hurt her or Reggie. The same couldn't be said for her father though.

"Break a leg, sweet pea," He said, a self-satisfied smirk on his face.

What sounded like a compliment from him was undermined by the edge in his voice, as if his praise was some kind of ominous warning. If there was something off about him, though neither her mother nor brother seemed to pick up on it.

"Thanks dad," She barely gritted out, an obviously fake smile planted on her features.

"Hey Becca," Fangs of all people poked his head in, carrying around a clipboard, "Kevin told me to tell you we've got ten minutes before the first scene and I quote 'she better have those lights queued in five minutes or so help me god'."

Becca fought back a grin at her father's clear look of disapproval at Fangs and the Serpent's obliviousness to it all. He noticed their stares and an excited smile floated onto his face.

"Oh sorry!" He waved at her parents, before holding his hand out to shake their hands, "I'm Fangs by the way, the assistant director."

Unlike her father, her mother shook his hand instantly, a delighted look on her face at his happy-go-lucky personality.

"Are you a friend of Becca's?" She asked curiously, cocking her head to the side.

"Oh yeah, she and my best friend are-"

Becca's eyes widened behind them, a panicked look filling her eyes. Fangs stopped himself luckily, remembering that her and Sweet Pea weren't exactly public with their relationship.

"I mean, uh," He fumbled, swallowing thickly, "She is my best friend. Right Becca?"

The dark-haired girl had to keep herself from face-palming as both her parents turned around to look at her. Her mother gave her an inquiring, but innocent glance while her father kept his face emotionless. Anyone else would read it as calm, but Becca could see the glints of anger in his eyes. He knew Fangs was a Southside Serpent, even if he wasn't wearing his jacket at the moment.

"I thought Kevin was your best friend, sweetie," Melinda Mantle raised an eyebrow.

"He is mom," Becca replied quickly, trying to backtrack out of the mess Fangs just made, "But...uh, Fangs and I have been hanging out a lot at rehearsals and we've kind of become good friends. He's very good at...managing things."