CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE

"I can't just sit here-!"

"You don't have a choice, Sweet Pea," Jughead slammed him into one of the walls of the Whyte Wyrm, "You're staying put."

Sweet Pea shoved him off, fixing the dark-haired boy with a murderous glare.

"You said it yourself, the Ghoulies are back!" He protested, as a crowd of Serpents began to gather around the two.

"We will deal with them," Jughead replied sharply, his jaw clenching, "As soon as my dad gets back-"

"Oh, so you're not our leader all of the sudden?" Sweet Pea shot back sarcastically, his eyes narrowing at the youngest Jones, "Oh no that's right, you're just the guy who got Fangs and Becca shot!"

"Watch it," Jughead growled in a warning.

"And now, they both might die," He replied in a low tone, pushing the terrifying thought from his mind as he continued, "And the Ghoulies are out for our blood because of a drag race you started!"

Sweet Pea shoved a finger into Jughead's chest, hoping this would provoke him into a fight. Anything to get his mind off the fact that the two people he cared about most were now lying in hospital beds with bullet holes.

Jughead didn't take the bait, however.

"An hour," He replied evenly, locking eyes with the tall Serpent, "That's all I'm asking for, Sweet Pea."

The two boys held each other's gazes, a competition of who would back down first. Sweet Pea let out a frustrated growl, knowing he couldn't do anything else short of punching Jughead. And while the idea was very tempting, that wasn't what the Serpents needed right now. Not with the Ghoulies back in town and ready for a fight. He knew they had to be united if they wanted to survive the night.

Sweet Pea finally broke Jughead's stare, chest heaving with anger as he slammed his fist into the nearest wall and stomped away before he did anything he'd regret. No one tried to stop him, fearing that they'd end up with a black eye or broken nose because of it. He shoved the doors to the Whyte Wyrm open, smacking them into the sides of the building violently.

Now that he was outside, without anything or anyone to direct his anger towards, Sweet Pea didn't know what to do with himself. For the first time that night, he was alone with his thoughts. And they descended upon him like wolves, viciously tearing into the unstable boy.

Guilt ate him alive first. While he'd been rampaging on the Northside, trashing Riverdale High and leading a manhunt against Reggie and then Mrs. Klump, Becca and Fangs had been fighting for their lives in a hospital. Hell, Sweet Pea didn't even know if they were alive or dead. The thought alone was like a punch to the stomach, suddenly making it hard for him to breathe.

If Fangs or Becca died...

No.

He couldn't even think of it, much less imagine what he would do.

In an attempt to distract himself, Sweet Pea kicked over one of the trash cans outside the Wyrm, causing it to go flying across the deserted street. The Southside was eerily quiet, like the calm before a storm, but it was his mind that was overwhelmingly loud.

You're selfish for throwing a tantrum while Fangs and Becca laid dying...

You're weak for letting your emotions get the better of you...

You're stupid for thinking you could protect either one of them...

Reggie's words echoed inside his head.