CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

BECCA leaned back against his couch, now devastated at this new development. If there was any chance she had thought her dad was a good person, it went out the window then.

"Did you know about this?" Sweet Pea asked, searching her face for answers.

"No," She replied, her voice cracking slightly.

Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry.

"But," Becca let out a deep breath, her voice becoming steady again, "I'm not surprised."

Sweet Pea's dark eyebrows furrowed together at her response, "What do you mean?"

"My father," She began slowly, "has been lying about where he's been and who he's with. He's been funneling money into Lodge Industries from his private account, more than he can afford per month and I'm pretty sure he's been dealing in some sort of drug empire."

Her anger only became stronger as she listed each sin her father was guilty of committing.

"Becca," Sweet Pea's voice penetrated her rage-filled thoughts, "He didn't hurt you, did he?"

"What?" She asked, "Oh no. He doesn't even know I know. And besides-"

Her jaw tightened, "He'd never hurt his precious little daughter."

Becca's eyes were starting to fill with angry tears now. Last night she had been disappointed and sad, but tonight? She was bitter and angry. Why would her father do something like that? Before now, she'd never suspected him to be participating in any criminal activity. Now all of a sudden, he was Hiram's little bitch? Doing whatever he wanted, whenever he needed.

"Becca," Sweet Pea put a hand on her shoulder and she realized for the first time that night that she was shaking uncontrollably.

"Sorry," She muttered, forcing herself to stop, "It's just...I tried for so long to think he was a good person. Yeah he was an asshole to people who didn't deserve it and he's done some other pretty terrible things but..."

"I guess I was just naïve," She said bitterly.

Her breathing slowed slightly as she fell silent again, feeling defeated once again. Sweet Pea was staring at her intensely with furrowed eyebrows, trying to make sense of everything she had just said. He swallowed thickly, his Adam's apple bobbing slightly. They were both in way over their heads.

"Thank you, Sweet Pea," Becca turned back to him, her voice much more quiet and mellow now, "for calling me and telling me this."

Sweet Pea could only nod numbly, giving her a thin smile. Even though Becca was internally freaking out about her father and everything that had just happened, her mind still drifted to what he had told her yesterday about running drugs and cutting up people. She still didn't know how to feel about that and she may never know.

"I think I should get back to the party," She said, standing up suddenly, "Just in case my dad starts wondering where I am."

Becca was making this a habit, running away from Sweet Pea when they could just talk to each other. Luckily, he stopped her this time.

"Becca, wait," He stood up as well, towering over her but not in a menacing way.

"What?" She asked, finally meeting his dark brown eyes.

She knew what was on his mind, her own hazel eyes searching his face as well. He looked conflicted, angry, and confused. But most of all, he looked hurt.

"I just wanted to tell you," He started, licking his lips again, "I didn't join the Serpents to be a drug delivery boy or to...cut up women."

Becca swallowed hard, flinching slightly when he said that.