CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

BECCA sat quietly in the sunroom, looking out across the shimmering water of the lake. Although her conversation with Betty and Jughead yesterday was helpful, it had done little to lift her mood.

Even all of her favorite little cousins could not make a genuine smile cross her face.

She watched them now, outside eating on the picnic tables surrounding the estate. Part of the windows were opened, letting in a cool breeze that lightly ruffled her hair. Bits and pieces of her relatives' conversations floated in with the air, but she ignored them for the most part. All she wanted to do now was be alone.

Becca wondered, not for the first time in the last couple of days, what Sweet Pea was doing. Was he playing pool with Toni and Fangs at the Whyte Wyrm? Was he off on some Serpent-related business, motorcycle roaring and pocket knife flashing? Was he at school, cursing to himself during Dr. Beaker's lecture? Was he in as much pain as she was now?

God, she'd never felt like this before...ever. It was like the sun had disappeared behind the clouds and never returned.

"Hope I'm not interrupting something," Her grandmother's voice said behind her.

She turned, giving the old woman a thin smile, "No of course not grams. C'mon in."

Becca gestured, and she wheeled herself beside her, her steady gaze now on the beautiful country landscape.

"I was just admiring another amazing view of the lake," She said quietly, almost to herself.

Her grandmother smiled, "Yes, it is quite beautiful."

A silence engulfed the two before her grandmother swallowed thickly.

"You know," She turned to her, tears pricking in her own hazel eyes that were so similar to her granddaughter's, "I remember when your grandfather and I came out to see this lake. It was one of the first things we saw in America, besides that titanium jungle New York City."

"He said to me," A fond smile crossed her face, "'This is the second most beautiful thing I've ever seen. And someday, it will be mine. Just like the first most beautiful thing standing right here.'"

Becca's lips drew upwards in to a soft smile and she let out a deep breath.

"He was such a sap," Her grandmother wiped at her eyes and chuckled, "He was always the romantic one, not me. I was all sharp corners and rough edges."

Her orbs fell on Becca, a knowing glint to her eyes, "Just like you, my dear. Just like whoever it is you've got on your mind."

Her dark eyebrows rose up in surprise, but by the way her grandmother was looking at her, there was no use in denying the fact.

"How did you...?"

"A grandmother always knows when something, or someone, is troubling her grandchildren," She clasped her hands together, "What's troubling you my little flower?"

She sighed, shaking her head. Just then her phone buzzed beside her and she opened it rather too eagerly

Dickwad: heard you were out on vacation for the next couple of days. try not to miss me too much ;)

Becca let out an irritated breath before shoving the damn thing back into her pocket. So much for not being troubled.

"Was that him?" Her grandmother raised an eyebrow.

"What?" She rolled her eyes, "Excuse my language grandma, but hell no. It's just an annoying boy from school."

"I see," She nodded, "Well then excuse my language, but what the hell is going on with you?"