CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

THE next day, Becca decided to tag along with Betty to talk to her about some of the stuff that went down last night with her parents and the Blossoms.

"I don't think my dad is as innocent as I once thought," Becca finished with the shake of her head, "How am I supposed to interpret that information anyway? 'Looks like the Sugarman is back in business'? I thought you caught the Sugarman Betty?"

"I did!" She replied, "Or at least he's the man that Cheryl told me about. And obviously he confessed because he went to prison and then the Black Hood killed him."

"Ugh," Becca ran her fingers through her locks in frustration, "This whole 'Mystery Gang' thing is getting on my last nerves."

Betty sighed, nodding her head in agreement with her.

"I was going to visit Jug at Southside High before school, but you don't have to come along if you don't want-"

"No, I'll come," Becca said, a secret smile on her face. Sweet Pea had texted her last night after they'd chained themselves up, talking about how Archie had come by to threaten them. If she wasn't going to be seeing him for a couple days at school, then she might as well see him now.

Becca wasn't the clingy type, but it seemed almost cruel that the two of them never got to see each other that much. Sneaking around at school wasn't exactly ideal and it wasn't like she could ask him to meet her at Pop's. And then she still had Dilton to worry about.

She inwardly sighed. Her first real relationship with someone, and there were already several different things working against them. And not the usual, cliché, 'awkward first time' or 'when is he going to say I love you' problems. Becca would never admit it out loud, but she was jealous of Veronica and Archie, and Betty and Jughead. They may have their fair share of problems, but at least they didn't have to hide their relationship.

The two of them continued to chat, as Betty drove them both to Southside High. They pulled up to a line of motorcycles and cars outside the abandoned building. As they got out, Becca could see the words 'No SoDale' spray-painted on the sides of barriers. Eight different Serpents, all around her age, were chained up to the outside of the wall, right in front of the demolition notice. Becca cringed slightly when she saw her father's logo on the sign as well.

"Betty and...Becca?" Jughead seemed surprised to see her, "Come to see what your father has done?"

Before Betty could say anything, Becca shot back, "No actually, I'm visiting someone. Now, if you'll excuse me Holden Caulfield."

She arched an eyebrow at him before stalking past his figure. Sweet Pea and Fangs were leaned up against the wall, chains wrapped around their torsos. Sweet Pea was watching Jughead with a wary look, obviously having heard his little comment.

"Fangs," Becca nodded to the Serpent next to him, "Looks like you'll be my new boss in a couple weeks. That is, if you're still helping Kevin with the musical."

He smirked, obviously pleased, "Of course. Wouldn't miss it for the world. Besides, now that Toni is a River Vixen and this one-"

He shoved a thumb towards Sweet Pea, "is on the basketball team. I have literally zero friends."

"The musical should help with that," Becca said before putting a hand to her chest dramatically, "Though I'm shocked and hurt that I'm not on that list."

"Well Sweet Pea won't shut up about you, and it's kind of annoying the shit out of me. So," He narrowed his eyes teasingly, "you're on thin ice Mantle."

Becca smiled as Sweet Pea slapped him on the arm and Fangs rubbed his shoulder tenderly. It was nice to know that he talked about her a lot, even though she couldn't return the same gesture.