CHAPTER SIX

"BECCA."

She heard her name again, the tone was one she'd grown familiar to within the last couple of days.

"Veronica, what's up?" She greeted the raven-haired girl at her locker.

"I have a question for you," Veronica smiled, leaning against the walls.

"Okay, shoot."

"When you were looking through Sheriff Keller's laptop, were you only looking for stuff on the Sugarman or were you able to see all of his case files and e-mails?" She questioned, crossing her arms.

"Well at that moment, I was only looking for stuff on the Sugarman because that's what you guys wanted me to do," Becca suddenly grew very suspicious, "Why do you ask?"

"Would you be able to hack into it again but this time through his e-mails?" Veronica asked, ignoring her question.

Becca scoffed, "Veronica please. It hurts me to think you doubt my skills. Of course, I can. The question is...why?"

She turned around, glancing wildly down the hall as if to make sure nobody was within earshot of their conversation. Suddenly she leaned in a bit closer and spoke in a whisper.

"Betty and I have some...theories for why Kevin's dad is acting so weird. I just need your help to confirm my suspicions," Veronica half-smiled, "I'll buy you a milkshake from Pop's for your troubles."

Becca snorted at that. At this rate, Veronica was going to have to buy her several milkshakes at one time. She bit her lip slightly. Truth be told, Becca was worried for her best friend. She hated seeing Kevin like this, worrying non-stop and not being able to think clearly.

"Fine, but if we do this and find out what's wrong, we have to tell Kevin so he can stop worrying. Deal?" She arched a dark eyebrow.

Veronica clapped her hands together happily, "Deal! And..."

She smirked mischievously, "I have just the perfect excuse."

---

"So, Becca and I have been wracking our brains for something that might cheer you up and I have just the prescription!" Veronica said with a smile.

Both her and Becca were currently on either side of Kevin, all three of them with their arms linked together and walking down the hallways of Riverdale High.

"A sleepover!" She exclaimed happily, smiling at him with her dark-painted lips, "Doesn't that sound fun?"

As if on cue, Kevin's eyes widened in excitement.

"A sleepover at the Pembrooke?" He asked hopefully with a beaming face.

"Actually Kev, I was thinking about how I've never seen your house," Veronica's tone held a knowing glint as she looked pointedly at Becca.

"Plus, you always have the good kind of snacks and drinks," Becca put in, "Ya know, the sugary, diabetes-causing ones?"

Kevin glanced between them both before nodding, "Yeah sure why not! Plus, Becca and I could always use another sleepover buddy."

He shook his head, nudging her playfully, "She swears she doesn't have any other friends."

"Gee thanks for that one Kev," Becca rolled her eyes.

"Well now she has two friends," Veronica stated, shooting Becca a half-smile, "The more the merrier."

Huh, not the response Becca had been expecting. But, she guessed she didn't mind it. She hated to admit it, but Veronica was growing on her. She grudgingly thought to herself that maybe she'd add the Lodge girl's name to her lengthy list of friends. So far, just two and she hoped it stayed that way.