CHAPTER FORTY

THE next day, Becca felt like a fish out of water at school. Everyone was buzzing about the Lodges' new bid for Mayor. And now, thanks to Hermione's promise that her father would be deputy mayor, that meant everyone was buzzing about them as well. Reggie was enjoying the attention far too much, even going as far to call himself 'the second son of Riverdale', seeing as Veronica was starting to catch the nickname of 'first daughter'.

Unfortunately, all of that attention and murmuring fell on her too. It was like Riverdale High had finally been able to look past Reggie's glow and see that he had a sister too. Every time she walked down the hallways, she was accompanied by stolen glances and quiet whispers. She was starting to feel like a new specimen in a zoo, the way people were gawking at her.

"Becca!" Dilton was waiting for her at her locker and she grimaced in response, "I'm so glad you're back! And of course, back in style I see."

He glanced all around the lockers as people closest to her were now watching them both with a critical eye.

"Just say what you want to say Dilton and leave me alone. I'm really not in the mood," She shot back irritatingly, her cheeks tinging a slight red as someone chuckled at her response.

"Alright, darling I get it. I'll be quick don't worry," He held up his hands and Becca gritted her teeth at his nickname.

"You, me," He gestured between the two of them before holding up two tickets in his hand, "Ready Player One at seven o'clock at the Bijou this Saturday night. What do you say?"

Becca glanced around, finding that people were now staring at her, seeing how she would react. She knew she couldn't say no to him or any of his dates, but she wanted so desperately to.

"Sure," She replied curtly, slamming her locker closed, "See you there."

She moved past him as he smirked to himself, watching her walk away with a cross of his arms. This was going to definitely boost his popularity status if Rebecca Mantle wanted to go on a date with him.

He flashed a smile at the cute girls who had been watching the whole encounter and they giggled slightly.

Everything was going according to plan.

---

"God what century is that brick even from?" Fangs looked at the old phone in Sweet Pea's grasp with disgust.

He rolled his eyes in response, powering it up.

"It'll have to do until I can figure out a way to buy another actual phone. And let me tell you, those things are expensive," Sweet Pea sighed, looking at the ancient thing.

"I got a guy who might be able to hook you up," Toni put in, leaning back against the cushions of his couch and shrugging, "If you want it."

"Well let's see Topaz," Sweet Pea's eyes narrowed as he held up his hands, "Do I want this piece of shit from the stone ages or do I want another iPhone? Hmm, that's a tough decision."

Toni rolled her eyes, slapping him on the shoulder. The three of them were currently seated in Sweet Pea's trailer, talking amongst themselves after school. She could tell that he was still distraught about Becca, despite her coming over the other day and trying to cheer him up with his favorite movies and pizza.

"You guys here about that Lodge chick running for mayor?" Fangs shook his head, "At this rate, practically everything on Riverdale will have their seal on it."

"Yeah no kidding," Sweet Pea muttered back angrily, watching as his new phone finally lit up.

"Were you able to transfer all your contacts and messages over Pea?" Toni asked, hoping to steer clear of any topics that might cause him to get pissed and act out irrationally.