CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

BECCA wore her hair down that night just as Sweet Pea had suggested. She'd also applied some of her mother's concealer for good measure, though they weren't exactly the same shade. No need to give Dilton any more content, especially since he still thought the two of them were just friends. She smiled secretively to herself as she brushed her pin-straight dark hair, effectively covering up the hastily-clad makeup. Even Dickwad Doiley couldn't spoil her uplifted mood courtesy of a certain tall, brooding Serpent.

"Becca! Dilton's here for you!" Her mother called up their winding staircase.

The grin quickly dropped from her face.

Okay, maybe he could.

"Coming!" She called back, trying to sound enthusiastic and excited. Instead, it came out as forced and annoyed. Whatever, her mother would never know the difference.

But Dilton will...her mind seemed to whisper to her.

Sighing, she stood up from her vanity, tossing her hairbrush back on to her bed and grabbing her wallet and phone. As she opened her door, she noticed Reggie's bedroom open up as well. He looked up from what he was doing, the two of them making awkward eye contact. Neither of them had said anything since last night and Becca wasn't even sure he had seen her in the crowd around Southside High that day.

His gaze hardened instantly though and instead of greeting her, he simply brushed past her, as if she hadn't even been there. A hurt look crossed her features, but she quickly repressed it, instead putting on a fake smile. She'd make things right with her brother when she didn't have Dilton looming over her. Besides, if he wanted to act like she was the bad guy, then she'd let him stew for the time being. She knew the truth though, and that was all that mattered at the moment.

She descended the stairs, finding Dilton and her mother looking at her expectantly in the foyer near their front door.

"You look wonderful Becca," Dilton smiled, though it looked more creepy than nice.

Her mother, on the other hand, fell for his act completely and beamed at him.

"Thank you Dilton," She gritted out, her forced smile stretching even wider as her mother shot her a pointed look.

"I'll make sure to have her back before ten, Mrs. Mantle," Dilton turned to her mother who in turn waved him off.

"Nonsense! You two have fun, midnight is perfectly fine Dilton," At this, Becca clenched her fists at her side, inwardly cursing her mother and her generosity.

Dilton grinned, "Midnight it is. Have a good evening, Mrs. Mantle."

"Oh please, call me Melinda," She chuckled, opening the door for them, "Becca, call me if you need anything."

Oh, how she wished she could.

"Of course, mom," She gave her a half-hearted smile before they left for Dilton's car.

As soon as her mother closed the door behind them, he slung an arm around her shoulders.

"So darling," He grinned, squeezing her shoulder a bit too tightly, "Did you miss me?

---

Luckily the Bijou was slow that night. Well, about as slow is it could be on a Saturday night. The theatre that Becca and Dilton were sitting in was only about half full, and the majority were pre-pubescent middle school and high school boys here for the pop culture references in Ready Player One.

"You didn't tell me about your family reunion," Dilton prompted, his nasally voice bringing her attention back to him unfortunately.

"It was fine," She answered curtly, crossing her arms and turning back around to the screen.