CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN

trigger warning: blood, gore and mild sexual themes are present in the chapter below

BY some miracle, Becca managed to slip past her mother and steal Reggie's car that was still sitting in their driveway. Her father had already left for his meeting with the Lodges, muttering something about 'damage control'. Hopefully, that kept him distracted until she got back.

Becca didn't know how much of a head start her brother had on her, but she was praying that she'd make it to Sunnyside before he did. Jughead told her reports were coming in from all over the Southside about the Dark Circle. Reggie must have decided that on their way to the trailer park, they might as well have as much fun as possible. Vandalizing public places, setting things on fire, and jumping anyone in a Serpent jacket.

It was safe to say the Southside of town was the last place she should've been that night.

And yet, here she was, pushing his car into gear and slamming on the gas. Barreling through the deserted streets of Riverdale like a bullet and heading straight into the eye of the storm.

Her and Sweet Pea hadn't talked since their fight a couple days ago, and for some reason, he wasn't answering his phone. Maybe it was because he was still mad at her, but Becca tried not to think about that. Her first priority was his safety: protecting him from Reggie and his group of thugs. She swallowed thickly, instead concentrating on the task at hand and driving as fast as she could.

Not soon enough, the sparkling buildings of the Northside slowly began to give way to the shabby ones of the Southside. As she raced through the streets, Becca could see just how much damage her brother was causing. There was a constant ambulance siren echoing ominously in the distance and many of the streetlights had been shattered, causing shadows to jump out left and right. The place looked like a warzone.

The grimy sign of Sunnyside finally came into her vision and she sighed in relief when she noticed there were no guys running around in letterman jackets or riding in shiny, Northside cars. They weren't there yet, which meant she still had time to get Sweet Pea out and away from them. She hadn't exactly made a plan about where they would go, but anywhere was better than being at ground zero.

Becca slammed on the brakes, the car giving a whine in protest as it jerked to a sudden stop. She clambered out before slamming the door shut and sprinting through the maze of trailers. Sweet Pea's was on the opposite side, but luckily she still remembered how to get there. Climbing up his steps, her fist connected with the door and she knocked harshly. There was a slight crash from inside before suddenly the door flew open.

The angry look in Sweet Pea's eyes dissipated though as soon as he saw her.

"Becca?" His voice sounded scratchy, like he'd just woken up, "What are you doing here? It's late."

"We need to leave, now," She pushed past him into his trailer and closed the door, wary of his neighbors and anyone else who could see them.

"I don't understand, what are you talking about?" He crossed his arms, confusion written across his face.

"Reggie," She replied hurriedly, "He and the Dark Circle are on their way here."

"What?" Sweet Pea's eyes widened, "Why's your brother coming to Sunnyside? Unless he wants to get jumped by the Serpents."

"Except the Serpents aren't here Sweet Pea," Becca explained, wondering why he didn't already know that, "Where were you today? Why weren't you at school?"

"I didn't want to go," He answered bluntly, but she could tell that wasn't the only reason he skipped, "So I took a shift at the Wyrm."

Anger creeped into his voice as he said bitterly, "And then Jughead called me about Fangs getting arrested. I was in the middle of trying to figure out what to do when I guess I must have passed out."