CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"YOU did what now?" Becca asked incredulously.

Sweet Pea rolled his eyes at her tone, "I tried out for the basketball team. So, what? It's not that big of a deal anyway."

"Uh, yeah it is," She continued, "Most of the guys on the basketball team are football players. Which means they'll follow whatever Reggie says like it's their religion."

Sweet Pea's mouth twisted into a smirk suddenly, "Aw, you don't need to worry about me princess."

"Trust me, I'm not," Becca was quick to deny his statement, though her cheeks turned a bit pink, "If you want to try out for the basketball team, be my guest. But it's your funeral."

"I think I can handle it sweetheart," He leaned forward, his fingers clasped together, "Besides, Coach Clayton doesn't seem that bad."

Becca shook her head and held her hands up in defeat.

"Fine. You're a big boy, you can make your own decisions."

Silence engulfed the pair for a few moments before Becca asked curiously, "When do you find out if you made it?"

"Tomorrow," He replied, "Trust me, I've been playing basketball ever since I was little. It's how I used to pass my time before I joined the Serpents. Plus, I'm taller than all of your little Northsiders so they pretty much have to give me a spot on the team."

"Well that's no surprise skyscraper," She said dryly.

The two of them were currently sitting together at the library, surrounded by poster board materials. As part of their presentation, they had to make some sort of visual aid and bring in things with hydrogen in them. So far, they hadn't figured out what to put on their display board but they had been tossing several ideas around.

As promised, Sweet Pea's week of detention had finally ended last Friday, so now they could resume their study sessions after school. Becca was just grateful she didn't have to be at the library an hour early anymore.

In their week of working together, Becca had learned exactly three things about Sweet Pea.

1.      No matter how many times she asked him what his real name was, he would never give it up. "No way someone named their child after a Bath and Body Works scent!" "I'm flattered that you think that's the reason I call myself Sweet Pea, princess." "Well, it's certainly not your sparkling personality!"

2.      Despite his uncaring attitude and general lack of a work ethic, he was actually pretty smart. He might even rival Becca, if he only applied himself. Which, according to him, would happen when 'he became a prissy little Northsider.' So, never.

3.      He was, without a doubt, the most infuriating person she'd ever met. "You can't deny we have chemistry, sweetheart." "This is so not the time for that, Sweet Pea." "So, you're saying there is a time for that?" "What? No!"

Although he was quite annoying most of the time, there had been moments when they were working together that she found herself actually enjoying Sweet Pea's company. Though she would rather die than admit that one out loud. She'd never hear the end of it.

"Maybe we could put the heading here," Becca put the strip of paper meant to be the heading at the bottom of the tri-fold, "and then put information down the sides and a picture in the middle?"

"You're really taking this seriously huh princess?" Sweet Pea arched an eyebrow at her.

Becca sighed, clearing the poster again, "I just want it to look nice so that we can get a good grade okay? What's so wrong with that?"