CHAPTER THIRTY

THE next day at breakfast, Becca sat down without saying anything.

She watched as her brother and mother went on about their days as if nothing was wrong. They passed the scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast between them, chatting excitedly about Reggie's first game tonight. She simply stared at her plate, suddenly feeling queasy. She shot a glance over at her father, who seemed to be as normal as he ever was, drinking a cup of coffee and reading a copy of today's Riverdale Register. Everything felt the same and different all at once and she felt herself grow numb as a ringing sound slowly picked up in her ears.

"Becca," Her mother's voice stopped the ringing and startled her out of her trance.

She jumped slightly, before turning her attention on her mother.

"Are you okay dear?" Her mother's concerned eyes fell on her, before taking her palm and feeling her forehead and cheeks, "You don't seem to have a fever."

"I'm fine," She said stiffly, almost emotionless and her mother's hand fell to her side again.

"Well, alright," She replied hesitantly, studying her daughter closely, "Do you feel well enough to go to the game tonight? I know Reggie would be happy to see you there."

Her mother shot him a smile and he all but gagged on his bacon. Melinda Mantle's eyes narrowed at her son and her brother quickly gave her a nervous, not very convincing smile.

"Sure sis, uh can't wait to see you there," His lips pressed together in a thin smile and this seemed to please her mother.

Glancing over at her dad once more, Becca quickly accepted the invitation, not wanting to be left alone in a house with him.

"Yeah I'll be there," She tried to smile, but it came out more like she was constipated, "Wouldn't miss it for the world."

Her mother clapped her hands together happily, while her father merely looked at her curiously, obviously knowing there was something wrong. As soon as she met his eyes, she abruptly stood up from the table.

"I think it's time to get to school Reggie," Becca gave him a pointed look.

He apparently didn't get the message, "But I'm not done with my bacon. Gotta get that protein in-"

"Now," Her voice lowered dangerously, and her brother's eyebrows shut up.

"Okay, okay, geez take it easy," He held his hands up before taking his plate to the sink.

"Bye mom, see you later," Becca shouted those words out quickly before practically running to the front door.

Reggie followed her a few seconds later, shooting their mother one last grin.

"Maybe she's just excited for school?" Melinda popped the question to her husband across the table.

He merely grunted, his eyes still focused on the newspaper. But underneath, he knew something was wrong with his daughter. And he intended to find out what it was

---

Becca sat next to Kevin on the couch in the common room later that morning, simply staring into open space. What was she going to do with those pictures? She had tucked the file safely in the back of her closet, a space she was sure her dad wouldn't go snooping around in as there were too many clothes to get through anyway. She wanted to confront him, to hear the truth from him. But what if he was dangerous? She'd never felt endangered by her father before, but then again, she didn't know he was a drug kingpin.

"Becca?" Kevin's voice pulled her out of her thoughts, "What's up? You look a little sick, almost like Betty did yesterday."

Kevin had been telling her a story, but she'd promptly zoned out as soon as he started talking. Veronica and Archie were looking at her curiously from their seat across from her as well. Betty glanced at her and the two shared a knowing look.