CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

This chapter is dedicated to Luke Perry, the best Riverdale dad and human we could ask for. ❤️

THAT night, Becca decided to wear the same dress she'd worn to the SoDale open house. She wasn't giving Dilton the satisfaction of her finding new clothes for the occasion. She took a deep breath, looking at herself in the mirror. The girl staring back at her looked nervous, almost afraid. Becca shook her head, trying to regain her senses. There was nothing Dilton could do tonight in front of her parents, she'd just have to grit it out until the end of the night.

But then after that...? Her mind seemed to whisper to her.

She'd worry about that after tonight.

"Becca! Come down here! There's a handsome gentleman waiting at the door for you!" Her mother called up their spiral staircase.

Her eyes shut in irritation before she switched off her desk lights and reluctantly left her room. She walked down the stairs, trying not to meet Dilton's eyes. He was currently talking with her father and brother.

"So, Dilton isn't it?" She heard her father ask him, "How did you meet my daughter?"

Through black-mail and manipulation.

"Yes sir," He answered, "Well Becca and I have been in mathletes together for quite some time and we're in a lot of the same classes as well. We just got to talking more, I guess."

He gave her a secret smile and she tried her best not to look like she wanted to jump off a cliff.

Her father nodded, studying him very closely. The doorbell suddenly rang, and Reggie made a move to open it, suspecting it was his date.

"You look beautiful, Becca," Dilton took the opportunity to compliment her.

She wanted to respond with a scathing comment but felt her parents' eyes on her.

Her lips stretched into a tight smile, before replying in a forced voice, "Thank you Dilton. You look...nice as well."

He was wearing a nice suit with a dark blue tie that somehow perfectly matched her dress. That seemed to only infuriate her even more.

"Mom, dad," Reggie's voice interrupted her thoughts, "this is Josie McCoy. Mayor McCoy's daughter."

He introduced her as Josie shook each of their hands.

For a moment, Becca forgot about Dilton, impressed that Reggie managed to get Josie to come with them. It was no secret to her and the rest of the school that he had a major crush on her. He even tried to become Josie and the Pussycats' manager back when she still had her band.

"Hi Mr. and Mrs. Mantle, it's nice to meet both of you," She said with a smile.

"Yes, so sorry to hear about your mother resigning by the way. We all supported her greatly," Her father said, giving her a completely fake smile.

What an asshole. Becca had not forgotten the comment he made as they watched Mayor McCoy resign publicly.

"Thank you, Mr. Mantle. It's been...an experience, that much is sure," Josie gave a sad smile before turning to the rest of them.

"Becca...right?" She gave a tiny wave.

"Yeah, that's me," Becca returned the awkward wave.

"Dilton?" Josie looked taken aback by his presence, "Are you and Becca...?"

"Why yes," He shot her a bright smile, "I'm Becca's date for tonight. Looks like we both got lucky."

Josie's confused look seemed to become even more prominent, "Right."