CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

THE next day, Becca found herself at the Whyte Wyrm, the last place she thought she'd be after what her father had told her last night. She didn't bear any ill will towards the Serpents that went to Riverdale High. But she did know she needed to be more careful about who she spent her time with. It was still early in the afternoon, so like the last time she'd been there, there was only a couple older Serpents meandering around. She eyed each one of them carefully, wondering to herself if these were the men and women who had threatened her father.

"What did you want to talk about?" Sweet Pea's voice suddenly said behind her and she turned around to see him leaning against a pool table.

Becca wasn't going to lie, she was still mad at him from yesterday. And judging by his reserved expression, he wasn't exactly happy either. But she needed to talk about this with someone and with Kevin currently out of commission and Veronica and Betty out of town, Sweet Pea was the only other person she felt comfortable having this conversation with. Not that he would have been her last choice, but at the moment, she didn't feel like she would have been his first choice to see either.

"I need to tell you about something that happened last night," She started quietly, "Just to help me process everything and...to clear the air between us."

His dark eyebrows raised slightly, and his features softened at her words. He nodded without hesitation, gesturing for her to sit down at one of the wooden tables across the room. Becca could see out of the corner of her eye that Toni was currently bartending and chatting with Fangs who sat at one of the chairs.

Sweet Pea looked at her expectantly and she trained her focus back on him.

"I...confronted my dad last night. About everything," Becca started.

His face instantly changed from calm and steady to enraged and worried.

"What?" He asked in a harsh voice, "Do you have a death wish or something? Your dad could be dangerous. For all we know-"

"No Sweet Pea," She interrupted him, "He's not."

"And how do you know?" He crossed his arms, giving her a pointed look.

"Let me explain what happened," Becca grasped her hands firmly together on the table and leveled her eyes with him.

He stared at her for a moment, an unreadable expression crossing his face, before slightly nodding for her to continue.

Becca proceeded to tell him everything. About how she discovered her father's lie about Pop's, how her and Betty had teamed up to go sleuthing through all of his personal information and broke into his office. The files, the pictures, the money, everything. And then she told him what he said last night, leaving out the part about how he had apologized again for hitting Reggie. Knowing that he had physically abused her brother would only cause the tall Serpent to become angry again.

At this though, Sweet Pea frowned a tiny bit.

"Did he say who he made these deals with? Because we don't do drug runs anymore. Not with Penny gone," He looked at her with a critical eye.

"No, he didn't say who he did them with. And I only glanced at the photographs," She sighed, a confused look crossing her face, "I think all of this happened some months ago, back when Penny was still here and running her drug business."

"And you...believe him?" Sweet Pea asked sharply, narrowing his eyes accusingly at her, "You think he's telling you the truth? After everything you just told me?"

"I don't know who to believe!" She shot back, "But all of his explanations add up so why should I question them?"

Apparently, that wasn't the right thing to say.