CHAPTER FIVE

THE Monday after the drag race went extremely slow for Becca. Not even her favorite class, chemistry with Dr. Beaker, could get her to become interested in anything. The clock that sat in his room ticked by slowly, far too slowly for her liking. When the bell finally rang, she let out a huge sigh of relief. Kevin wasn't in today, for some reason or another, and she silently hoped that his dad hadn't found out about him being at that drag race. Luckily, she'd been able to spray some perfume on her and Reggie, which he hadn't liked at all, to mask the scent of alcohol from her parents. They hadn't suspected a thing.

At least, not yet.

Jughead and Archie had brought back his car later, with minimal scratching to the paint and only a few dents which they had quickly fixed. For once, Becca had been relieved beyond belief that her father had bought their lie. She didn't want anyone to get hurt anymore in their household, especially her brother.

She was putting her things away in her locker when a shadow passed across the door. She turned to see none other than Veronica, and Betty in tow with her.

"I'm not hacking into Sheriff Keller's porn stash again," Becca said with a sigh, still rummaging through her locker for her things.

"What? Ew no that's so not what I was going to say," Veronica made a disgusted noise and Betty looked between the two with a questioning look.

"I was going to say that we finally caught the Sugarman. In case you wanted to know since you helped a bit with the operation," She smiled with a triumphant look on her face, before holding up the latest edition of the Blue and Gold.

Becca's interest was peaked slightly, and she grabbed the newspaper, scanning the article for a name.

"Betty here wrote a lovely exposé on the man-"

"Who the hell is Robert Phillips?" Becca interrupted, looking up from the newspaper to the two of them.

"He's a teacher at Southside High," Betty put in, "Crazy right?"

"Well if you see how much teachers get paid nowadays, I guess I don't really blame the guy," She quipped with a humorless chuckle.

Betty gave her a judgmental look before taking back the paper.

"But I'm glad he's behind bars though," She slammed her locker closed, "Now my brother can get back to his two favorite hobbies, sex and football, instead of selling Jingle Jangle to horny teenagers."

"Right," Betty replied, holding out the i a bit longer than usual, "Veronica told me you're Reggie's little sister, Becca right?"

Oh, good god was that the only thing she was ever going to be known for? Why couldn't someone come up to her and say 'oh you're the super smart hacker chick who's probably gonna graduate from high school early right?' No, instead she was relegated to 'you're Reggie's little sister right?' What a bunch of bullshit.

"Yeah that's me," She said through gritted teeth, giving the blonde-haired girl a not so friendly look, "Betty, isn't it?"

Betty nodded, although her semi-peppy attitude had faded with the look that Becca had given her. Instead she wore the expression of a kicked puppy.

"Look, I gotta go. Reg is gonna flip his shit if I don't get out there fast enough," She gave a shrug of her shoulders to the two of them.

"Okay, well maybe we can do something later?" Veronica suddenly put as Becca turned back around.

"Uh...sure," She replied hesitantly, "I'll have to check my super busy schedule though. See ya."

Without waiting for a response, she quickly turned back around and weaved her way out of the school. There was no way in hell that she was going to hang out with Veronica AND Betty Cooper at any point in her life. Hell, she still wasn't sure if she wanted to hang out with Veronica anyway. Reggie was unusually quiet on the way back to their house, preferring to simply sit in silence with her. Not even any music on the radio.