CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

THE next day after school, Becca found herself surrounded by Betty, Jughead, Kevin, Sweet Pea, Toni, and Fangs at the Whyte Wyrm. Currently it was late in the afternoon, so the bar wasn't as full as it would be come night time. There were still several Serpents hanging around though, either drinking up at the counter or playing pool at one of the many tables.

Becca was sitting at a table with Betty and Jughead on either side of her, clicking away on her computer.

"Wait so you're the one that turned the school website into a click bait for porn last year?" Jughead looked at her with an unbelieving expression, but a smile was growing on his face.

"You all seem so surprised," Becca commented, "As if I'm a twelve-year-old who's never gotten into trouble or something."

"Well technically you are the youngest here," Kevin put in, "So you're the baby of the group."

"Not for long Keller," She shot back, "My birthday's next month so you better watch yourself."

"Still," Jughead sat back, crossing his arms, "I'm impressed Mantle. It takes skills to do that."

"Yeah," Sweet Pea arched an eyebrow, "Who knew you had it in you, princess?"

"I'm full of surprises," Becca stopped her typing for a moment, shooting him a smirk, before her fingers went to work again.

The group of them fell silent for a moment, with Betty and Jughead stealing glances at her computer screen. She could feel Sweet Pea's gaze on her as he talked with Toni and Fangs absentmindedly, studying the way she worked. Suddenly the doors to the Wyrm slammed open and FP Jones strolled in. Some of the older Serpents nodded their greetings towards him, their gazes full of respect for their King. He returned their silent salutes before his eyes locked on Jughead and the group of teenagers. His dark stare narrowed ever so slightly at the sight, but not in hostility...more like intrigue and caution as he sidled up to their table.

"You must be Becca," The older man looked down at the girl and her computer, "Jughead told me all about what you guys are doing."

"That's me," She replied, glancing up from her screen to give him a polite smile before turning her eyes back on the screen.

"Your father's Rick Mantle, right?" FP suddenly seemed very interested in her reaction to his question.

"Dad-"

"No, it's alright son," He held up his hand to Jughead's protest, "Anyone's welcome at the Wyrm. Especially a friend."

Becca's lips involuntarily lifted upwards in a small grin, looking up from her laptop to level her gaze with Jughead's father.

"I'd give you my lengthy speech on how my dad's an asshole, but I think you know that by now," Becca gave a thin smile, knowing that the Jones' along with the rest of the Serpents, would suffer at the hands of her father because of Mayor McCoy's vendetta.

"Yes, I'm familiar with the way the Mantles..." He trailed off with a hard expression, "do things around here."

She gave him a questioning glance, obviously not knowing what he was getting at. Of course, her father held a strong prejudice against Southsiders, but he had never mentioned FP to her.

"Well Becca is here to help, not hurt," Jughead reassured in a sharp voice.

Sweet Pea turned to stand behind her chair, crossing his arms and leveling his gaze with FP.

"Yeah," FP narrowed his eyes at the both of them, "We could use some help around here."

Jughead's jaw tightened, but he remained silent. Becca looked between them all with a confused look as did Betty and Kevin. Something must have gone down between them, but Becca didn't get a chance to ask any more questions. A tall man with a mullet walked in and when his gaze landed on the group, he stalked over to them with a heated look on his face.