CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE

"YOU sure you're gonna be okay, princess?" Sweet Pea asked with a knowing smirk.

Becca hopped off the bed in the school nurse's office, her bruised and sore knuckles wrapped tightly in white gauze. After a stern conversation and a call to her parents, Weatherbee had decided to give her a couple days of after-school detention for punching Dilton. She didn't protest the punishment, though she did feel it was unfair given everything the Doiley boy had done to her. Becca had gotten her revenge though, and that was enough for now.

She glanced up at the tall Serpent next to her, rolling her eyes. Sweet Pea, despite the nurse's protests, hadn't left her side since the incident. And although he had teased her endlessly about 'needing to get her form right', she could tell by the constant worried look in his eyes that he had been genuinely concerned about her. Even when she had described it as a 'minor injury'.

"I'm fine, Sweet Pea," Becca replied, waving him off, "Just a flesh wound."

The pair walked down the deserted hallways of Riverdale High, late afternoon sunlight filtering in from the windows. School had just ended for the day, which meant she had detention in a few minutes. Oddly enough, the mere thought of it used to send her into a panic, with reoccurring nightmares of getting yelled at by Principal Weatherbee. Now, it just seemed...really annoying.

Becca thought back on herself, just last August on the first day of sophomore year. Back then, Kevin was her only friend and her face was still fresh with tears from mourning Jason Blossom. That Becca would have never defied her father, punched Dilton, or even stepped near a Southside Serpent, much less date one.

And yet...she couldn't help but think how much worse her life would be if she hadn't done any of those things. Becca would still be friend-less, pushing away anyone who dared get near, and yeah, maybe she wouldn't have had to deal with Dilton or the constant anxiety of a secret relationship. But all of that paled in comparison to what she had now. And she wouldn't change it for the world.

"Well, if he bothers you again, let me know," Sweet Pea said in a low voice as they stopped outside the detention classroom door, "The Serpents could always pay him a friendly visit."

His off-hand comment was said in a casual tone, as if he was politely inviting Dilton over to hang out. But by the smug look on his face and twisted glint in his eyes, Becca knew he meant something far darker. She couldn't lie though; the offer was tempting. But she considered it only for a second. It would cause far too much trouble than Dilton was worth, and she wanted to be rid of him as soon as possible.

As Becca looked up at Sweet Pea, the thought of Dilton sent a stab of guilt through her. Now that everything had been worked out between them and Doiley was no longer a threat, there was no need to keep anything that happened from Sweet Pea. And it was better he heard everything from her now, than wait and try to explain it later. There was still a chance the Serpent would do something irrational once she told him, but Becca would rather deal with an angry Sweet Pea than risk losing him entirely. She thought about waiting until she wasn't grounded anymore, but knowing her parents, that would be quite a long time, especially after her little incident in the cafeteria today. The sooner, the better.

"What are you doing tonight?" She asked innocently, arching a dark eyebrow and hoping he'd say yes. She was ready to put this behind them.

"Nothing," Sweet Pea replied easily, before shooting her a flirtatious smile and lowering his voice, "Eager for a second round, princess?"

Becca instantly flushed red, averting her eyes away from him while shoving him playfully.

"I hate you," She muttered as he laughed, catching her wrists in his gentle grasp. Despite his attempt to embarrass her, an involuntary smile grew on her face.