CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"HOW'S that headache Reggie?" Becca smirked as the four of them entered the Pickens Day festival.

He glared at her, dark under eye circles visible from his wild night.

"How's the high heels Becca?" He shot back, glancing down at her ridiculous shoes.

Her mother had picked out her outfit today from a high-end mall in Greendale. Becca was currently wearing red high-waisted shorts, a black silk top, black tights and high-heeled cherry red shoes. She loathed every part of it but had worn it without complaint after seeing her mom's eyes light up at the sight of her.

"Shove off, Reggie," She spat, her voice filled with venom.

"Both of you, behave yourselves," Her mother said to them quietly, "This is a very important day for your father and you have to look the part."

If there was one thing that the Mantle siblings could agree on, it was that Pickens Day was a waste of both of their times. Reggie had also been dressed up by her mother, in a nice button-down shirt and khakis. He looked like one of those boys who went to a preppy school and she could tell he hated wearing the outfit almost as much as she did.

Reggie spotted Josie, leaving the three of them alone to go catch up on his flirting with her. Becca was about to go get herself a funnel cake when one was suddenly stuck in front of her.

"Figured you could use some refreshments," Kevin said with a smile, before greeting her parents, "Mr. and Mrs. Mantle, you're looking wonderful today."

Her mother smiled kindly while her father simply glanced at him and nodded a greeting.

"If you two don't mind, I'm going to steal Becca for a bit," He weaved his arm through hers and guided her away from her parents.

Thank god for Kevin Keller.

"You're a lifesaver, Kev," She popped a piece of the funnel cake into her mouth.

"I know, I'm a gift to this world," He replied with a smug smile as they came up to his dad.

"Sheriff Keller," Becca said with a polite smile, "It's good to see you again sir."

She hadn't seen Kevin's dad since that night with Mayor McCoy and frankly, she was hoping to avoid him all together. He just reminded her of her guilty conscience and how she hadn't told Kevin yet about their affair.

He greeted her with a grin, none the wiser to what she knew.

Children ran around them, screaming and laughing while faint music played in the background. Red, yellow, and blue balloon bouquets were scattered across the park, all surrounding General Pickens statue. Everything seemed to be going according to her father's plan. Speaking of her parents, Becca noticed they were now standing next to the Lodges, shaking hands and talking with smiles on their faces. Her father's logo, Mantle's Automotives, was plastered alongside Lodge Industries and Andrews Construction around the fairgrounds and on the canopy stage.

"Hey, there's Betty," Kevin pointed out the blonde-haired girl, "did you still want to talk to her?"

Becca sighed, knowing there was no way she was going to get around this.

"Yeah, sure," She handed him her funnel cake, "but I'll be back for that."

He nodded with a knowing smile and Becca approached Betty, her mom, and who she assumed to be her brother.

"Hey Betty," She greeted, and Betty turned around with a confused look.

"Oh, uh hey Becca?" She looked surprised to see her.