Whenever and wherever

CARTER (CHAPTER 28)

Holy fuck. Do I like Taylor?

I stare right back at her, noticing that her eyes are not staring at my face anymore, but my lips.

"Carter," she breathes out, lifting her head up to look me straight in the eyes.

"Yeah?" I clear my throat.

"I--"

The front door opening interrupts Taylor, both of us in full shock, eyes widened as we hear Jack call our names.

"Carter! Taylor! Where are you guys?"

"Fuck," I mutter under my breath, hating that right now, the moment when Taylor wants to tell me something important, this idiot comes walking inside the house.

"Guys?" he calls out again.

"Sorry," I sadly say, getting up from the couch and walking away from Taylor. "Jack," I bite out as I walk into the kitchen, seeing him pull out a beer from the fridge.

"Sup dude," he waves, popping open the cap. "What's up with you? You looked pissed."

"Yeah, well I'm not," I spit out, not at all liking Jack right now.

"You sure? Cause you do look-"

"I'm fine," I interrupt, a bit too loudly as I have just noticed by the look of Jack's face, his eyes widening by my sudden outburst. "Sorry," I grumble. "What I meant was, is that I'm fine," I calmly now say.

"Alright..." he takes a sip out of his beer. "Where's Taylor?"

As soon as he says her name, I hear her soft voice.

"Hey Jack," she walks past me to him, opening her arms as she gives him a hug.

"Hey Taylor," he hugs her back, my hands forming into a fist as I watch it happen. "What did you guys do while I was gone?"

"Just watch a movie," she shrugs.

"Yeah," I add. "Watched two romance movies that bored the shit out of me," I mutter, making Taylor scoff at me. I look right at her with a wink, letting her know that I was kidding.

"Where's Chris?" she turns her back away from me, now facing Jack.

"Beats me," Jack shrugs. "He should be here now."

"Thankfully he isn't right now," I tell him, not at all wanting Chris to be here right now with Taylor still here.

"Aren't you worried about him?" Taylor asks us both with worry.

"Nah, Chris is fine," Jack waves off. "He isn't that stupid."

"Well..." I trail off.

"He's not stupid Carter," Taylor sternly tells me, crossing her arms.

"You're right," I quickly say to her, which makes Jack look at me in shock. "What?" I bite out, not liking the way he's looking at me.

"Nothing, nothing," he shakes his head. "Just ignore me, Romeo," he smirks, laughing as he drinks his beer.

"We're leaving," I walk to Taylor, grabbing her hand and pulling her away from Jack and out of the kitchen.

"Wait, now?" she asks me.

"Yes," I tell her.

"I can drive her home," Jack says, walking up to us.

"Not happening," I tell him, grabbing Taylor by the hand as I see her all dressed up in the clothes that she wore last night. Grabbing her hand, I open the front door, stepping outside. Walking to my car that's parked on the driveway. Unlocking it, we're about to step in until I hear Jack's words.

"I call bullshit you know!" I flick him off, though Taylor giggles, making me feel happy when I hear her laugh.

"You're so whipped!" he shouts.

"Go inside Jack!" I yell, which he waves me off, walking back inside the house, closing the door behind him.

"Phew," I say in relief. Taylor just laughs, opening the car door and goes inside. I follow her actions, closing the door behind me and putting the key in the ignition, backing out of my driveway, to Taylor's apartment. As I'm driving, I look right, seeing Taylor looking out the window, making this the perfect time to hold her hand.

I slow down and grab her hand from her lap, looking back straight on the road. Pretending like I didn't do anything, I continue to drive, feeling Taylor's eyes on me. I can feel her smiling, and so she tightens her hold on my hand, letting me know she knows. I keep our locked hands on the center console, continuing to drive.

We don't say anything, just welcoming the quietness sound in the car, and embracing the fact that we're now holding hands. Just like Rose and Jack.

"We're here," I say out of the blue, not even remembering when Taylor gave me the directions to her apartment.

"Great, thanks," Taylor says, letting go of my hand as she unbuckles her seat belt, turning to look at me, she gives me a smile that melts my fucking heart away.

"You're welcome," I smile back.

"Thanks for today Carter," She smiles at me, leaning forward, giving me a kiss on the cheek. Before I even have time to process what even happened she opens the car door and leaves, closing the door with a slam.

A slam straight to my heart. I sigh, watching her through the window as she walks away, knowing I should just drive away.

"Just drive away Carter. Just drive away," I mutter to myself. "Screw it," I say, unbuckling my seatbelt, getting out of my car and slamming the door as well.

Taylor wait!" She turns around, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Carter?"

"Did you honestly think I was gonna let you go just like that?" She bites her lip, shrugging as she looks down at the ground.

"Well then you're fucking wrong," I say, pulling her close to my chest, finally pressing my lips on hers.

*

I'm not a good guy.

I'm a simple guy. I see a girl I like, and I'll kiss her and fuck her whenever and wherever I want. Yet it's different with Taylor. She's like a pack of cigarettes, I crave them so much, and knowing that they're bad for me, I can't seem to be able to stop smoking them because I'm already addicted. And yes, I could and can stop it if I wanted to, but I'll always come back to them.

Taylor makes me want to be a good guy.