Chapter 33

Damon

A heart can hold so many things, love, happiness, pain, sadness, and heartbreak. Once a heart is broken it takes that one special person to pick up the pieces and fix it. People say love can be painful, they say once a person breaks your heart you feel like nothing could fix it and you become numb to the pain that takes over you.

As I gazed at her from afar, my heart constricted painfully in my chest, I felt like hugging her and protecting her from her rest of the world. Her smile was contagious to everyone around her and I felt myself slightly smiling at her beautiful form. But underneath that smile, I knew there was a pain she never knew how to fix.

Every night, she would cry herself to sleep and would come out of her room with a smile on her face in the morning. Every night, I would endure the pain of her crying. The sound of her agony calling for help, that no one heard except for me. The great thing about heart is that no matter how much it's broken, it still beats and the person lives on.

How can a love that was once so beautiful suddenly turn into ashes? I wanted to see her face before I went to sleep and after I woke up. But I lost that four years ago. Four years of this pain consuming my mind,body and heart. People would tell me I was weak, without knowing the whole story of how I turned out turned this way.

When we started dating, it was just for fun, and we never meant to fall in love. But along the way, I found myself deeply falling for her, there was no way out of it. When I confessed to her, I was the happiest man out there when she told me she felt the same way. But little did I know that our love wasn't going to last forever.

"Hey Damon", A hand slid up to my chest and I followed the arm to see Emily looking at with a sultry smile.

Jaws clenching, I glared at her, "Get your hands off of me".

She flinched at my harsh tone and instantly her hand dropped by her side. There was no doubt, Emily was a pretty woman, but I knew better than to mess with her. She was a cunning woman, who stopped at nothing to get what she wanted.

I wondered why Sebastian didn't just fire her, but then I remembered she had no where to go, and he had a soft spot for women in general. Sebastian was a good man and still is, he wanted to protect the women with his life and if any harm came to them from our men, then he would kill them without a second thought.

"Stop staring at her, you know she doesn't love you anymore", Her words cut deep through my heart.

Showing indifference, I made a gesture with my hands to get her away from me, she smirked before going to the kitchen. Her words still rang in my ears like a broken tape. I knew it was true, she didn't love me anymore instead she was disgusted of the man I've become.

She didn't know the pain I endured everyday. I wanted to see her beautiful eyes looking at me with the same love she once had. I wanted to kiss her whenever I wanted to. I wanted to hold her whenever she felt pain, but I knew I couldn't do that anymore.

Eventually, she would find a man that was good enough for her. He would hold her in his arms, he would show her there is a better world out there than the one we live in and I would have to watch her being happy with that man. But if that makes her happy, then I would endure the pain a million times in my heart if I could see her beautiful smile.

I heard people say, if you love someone you have to set them free and if they love you, they'll come back. I wanted to be selfish and never let her go, I wanted her to love me again. I wanted her to hold me in her arms when I needed comfort.

She was once my savior who pulled me out of my darkest place when I lost my parents. Even though I would snap at her, she never once gave up on me. She was a strong woman who hid her emotions well, but when no one was around she would break into pieces until there were no tears left.

"Damon", I heard a voice call out.

Turning around, I smirked towards Hunter to hide the pain in my eyes, he and Sebastian knew what happened four years ago, at first they hated me for what I've done, but once they heard why I did what I did, they began to understand me.

They told me to tell her, but I was afraid of how she'd react, I was afraid to see the pain in her eyes that I've caused because of my selfish reasons. She shed so many tears throughout the years because of me and I didn't want to see her crying because of me once again.

"I am so tired", Hunter stretched and yawned.

"You seem like you just woke up", I raised an eyebrow.

"That's because I just did", He grinned and made his way over to stand next to me.

Chuckling, we both waited for Sebastian to come down from upstairs. Lately he's been busy with Amelia, and I knew he was growing feelings for her. Whenever she was in the room, he would look at her with such tenderness it made my heart clench with jealousy.

I didn't have a right to be jealous because I was the reason for the heartbreak that Sophia and I were both succumbed into. There wasn't a reason to justify my actions, I was just a selfish man who thought of himself and not the only woman who cared for him.

My decisions caused her to shut off from the world, it caused her to to be left with a hollow feeling in her heart. But no one could see that, people thought she was okay, but really all she needed was one person to ask if she was really okay.

Instead, she worried about other people and putting smiles on their faces. Maybe that's why almost everyone loved her, they loved her bubbly personality, and cheerful smile. But what I love the most about her is that she doesn't give a crap about what people think of her.

She once told me I was going to be a dad with happiness etched on her face, but that smile was forever wiped off because of me and my selfishness.
———————————————————————————

Alright not gonna lie, I cried while writing this chapter, I just love Damon so much and ughhhh the love he holds for Sophia is just so beautiful and heartbreaking.

So what do you guys think of this chapter? What do you think Damon did that caused Sophia to hate him so much?

Please vote and comment 💕💕.