10

Genevieve, all things considered, was not a morning person

Genevieve, all things considered, was not a morning person. So when Lorelei saw Genevieve emerge from her room the next morning, she was shocked.

"Going somewhere?" She asked as she sipped her coffee, the latest missing person report sat in front of her.

"Bella's." Genevieve reached for the coffee maker, pausing when her cell phone went off in her pocket. She sighed, flipping it open.

Bella Swan: Change of plans. I'm going to the Cullens today. Wanna come?

Genevieve pursed her lips. As much as she didn't mind being around the Cullens, she just wanted one day at home. Ever since the intruder, when Genevieve wasn't at school, she was at Bella's, on the reservation, or at the Cullens. She was sure her mother noticed too, but was thankful that work kept her mother so busy so she didn't have time to question Genevieve.

She quickly texted Bella back, telling her she'd rather stay at home. Putting her phone in her pocket, she turned towards her mother. "Actually, she's ditching me for her boyfriend so I'm going back to bed."

"Genevieve, have a seat."

Genevieve frowned, walking around the kitchen counter to sit at the table with her mother. She knew immediately that something was wrong - her mother only used her full name when she was in trouble. 

"Do you remember the stories your grandmother used to tell you when you were little?"

Genevieve nodded slowly. "Yeah, the ones about the Sirens right?"

Lorelei nodded, pushing her coffee and the case file to the side as she reached over the table to grab Genevieve's hands. "Your grandmother wasn't just telling you stories, she was telling you our history. We come from a family of Sirens. Only the women in our family possess the gift that we do, and once we turn 16 it starts to develop rapidly. We weren't sure if you'd have it since you're only half Siren, but you do. You've been showing signs since you were a kid. We need to start training so you can learn to control it. You'll need to -"

"Why did you wait to tell me? You've hidden a huge part of me for my whole life and you're expecting me to just say 'okay' and carry on like normal?" Genevieve interrupted, snatching her hands away from her mother.

"Your father didn't want to tell you. He isn't too keen on my world. He was hoping you'd be human, like him." Genevieve noticed the bitterness in her mother's words, sighing as she leaned back in her chair.

"Is that why he left us?"

Genevieve didn't want to look at her mother, her hesitation spoke the words she dreaded to hear. She couldn't bear to see the look on her face too.

"Genevieve, your father loves you-"

"No he doesn't. If he did, he wouldn't have left us like he did." Genevieve snapped, "he doesn't give a shit about our family."