34

Edward walked in later that night

Edward walked in later that night. His eyes glanced over Bella quickly, checking to see if her physical state had deteriorated since he last saw her, before turning his gaze on Genevieve.

"Seth's here." Genevieve felt her heart jump, her palms feeling clammy as nerves wracked through her. "He and Jacob left Sam's pack when they realized what they wanted to do to Bella."

Genevieve felt Bella squeeze her hand, standing when she saw Bella's nod of encouragement. Edward placed a comforting hand on her shoulder as she moved toward the door, squeezing it gently. She paused for a moment, staring up at Edward with a silent question running through her mind. Edward shook his head gently, his face soft as he watched Genevieve carefully. Genevieve sighed, turning her gaze away from Edward's stare as she walked out of the home. 

She walked slowly to the back yard, the crisp air sending a shiver down her spine. She instantly regretted not wearing shoes as her bare feet touched the cold grass.

"You're going to get sick," Genevieve jumped at the voice, wrapping her arms around herself as Jacob approached her. "For real this time."

"You know why I couldn't be around you guys," Genevieve frowned as she watched him carefully, prepared for another outburst. "That's why you left right? Because Sam wants to kill Bella now that he knows she's pregnant."

Jacob sighed, nodding. "Yeah, he does. So I get it." He crossed his arms, frowning softly, "listen, I'm sorry for what I said on the beach. I was angry and I lashed out at you. I know it's not an excuse and you don't deserve to be treated like that. Especially since you listen to me complain all the time. And I'm sorry for being an ass earlier today."

Genevieve snorted, shaking her head as she sighed. Her shoulders relaxed, knowing that her and Jacob were on the same side again. For a moment, she was willing to put everything to the side. "What happened? With Sam I mean. Edward said you and Seth left the pack because of what Sam was going to do to Bella."

Jacob sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Sam decided that it was too dangerous to let the baby live since we don't know what it's going to be like once it's born. They want to get rid of it before it poses a threat."

"They wanted to kill Bella, so you left." Genevieve nodded. "And of course Seth followed because he could never kill someone - especially if they didn't do anything to deserve it."

Jacob nodded, "Leah's with us too. To look after Seth but also to get away from Sam."

Genevieve nodded, crossing her arms. She glanced behind Jacob to the woods, shivering at how ominous they looked in the dark.

"Seth's finishing patrol," Jacob added when he noticed her hesitation. "He'll be back soon. He's gonna want to talk to you."

"I know," Genevieve sighed as she glanced down at her feet. "I don't know what I'm going to say to him."