19

Genevieve and Lorelei spent the rest of the evening eating take out and watching horror movies (the two loved to criticize and make jokes during the movie, taking the horror out of them). Genevieve had been unconscious for most of her birthday, thanks to Victoria, but Lorelei still was determined to make the most of it.

They had just finished watching Insidious, Genevieve resting her head in her mother's lap as the older woman twirled her daughter's hair between her fingers.

"Seth seems like a nice kid."

"Mom, really? You want to talk about boys?" Genevieve rolled her eyes, looking up at her mother in disdain.

"I do, because if you're serious about this kid then there's something you need to know." Lorelei brushed her hand against Genevieve's forehead, pushing all the hair away from her face. "Do you remember the story your grandmother used to tell about the first Siren?"

Of course she remembered. It was the story her grandmother told all the time.

The story was simple.

Once there was a young girl who lived under the sea, for she was part fish. Genevieve remembered insisting the girl was a mermaid; her grandmother never denied it.

The girl had always found the people who lived on land fascinating although everyone else under the sea harbored a deep hatred for the land walkers. One day, the girl was taking her usual swim when she noticed something strange near the surface. She swam up and found a small ship, full of the land walkers. She watched in fascination as they danced and played musical instruments. They were celebrating.

Then she saw a man, and her whole world changed. She had heard stories of other women of her kind falling in love when they had met the man they were destined to be with. Her sister had found her soulmate and gushed about them constantly. It was like I was living life with the lights dimmed and didn't realize it until they were the only person who could turn on the lights.

Determined to be with the man she loved, the girl traded her voice for legs just like the land walker. And even though the girl couldn't tell him how she felt, the two loved each other deeply and got married. When the two had children, they noticed their daughter had possessed the magic her mother used to have in her voice and thus carried down the magic through generations to come, creating the land walking Sirens that now roamed the Earth.

"How do I know. If he's it?" Genevieve asked, sitting up.

Lorelei sighed, "If you're asking then it's not Seth. I'm sorry, Eve, I know how much you like him."

Genevieve stared at her mother, hurt. "You don't know how I feel about him. How could you? You're never home. You're too busy looking for missing kids to notice that your daughter is never home either! So, mother, how could possibly know how I feel about Seth?" Genevieve sucked in a breath, her bottom lip trembling. "I can't be here."

Genevieve ignored her mother's protest as she ran through the house, throwing open the back door, slamming it behind her.

The air was crisp and cool against Genevieve's hot face. She snatched her phone out of her pocket, her heart aching as she quickly dialed and held the phone to her ear. She let out a breath when the person answered the phone.

"I can't be here anymore. Can you come get me? Please?"

"Of course. I'll be right there."

Genevieve wrapped her arms around herself, glancing behind her. She frowned when she saw the curtain in front of the back door rustle. Her mother must've been watching to make sure Genevieve didn't do something like run into the woods alone. At night.

She sighed, moving to sit on one of the lawn chairs. She didn't know why she snapped at her mother like that.

Okay, that's a lie. She did know.

She was stressed. She just got attacked by a vampire. She almost died.

And on top of that, her mom was trying to tell her that the guy she liked, the guy literally everyone was telling her to open her heart to, wasn't for her.

Did she feel as strongly for Seth as she argued?

She thought back to when they first met. Her first day in Washington, when Paul threw a football at her head. She'd been such a mess of emotions, there's no way she'd be able to tell if she knew then and there of her feelings for her.

But that night at the bonfire? Genevieve had denied it then, but there was no doubt in her mind now that she felt a pull towards Seth.

Hell, she still feels it now.

His sunny disposition was literally a light in her life. He'd always managed to make her smile and cheer her up when she felt the weight of the world crushing her. Her heart longed to see him whenever he wasn't around. And when he was, it was like everything was right. Sure, there's Victoria, the newborn army, and the intruder. But when Seth is with her, she felt like she can handle them with him by her side.

Was Seth her soulmate?

Genevieve wasn't sure. Yes, she cared deeply for him in a way that she'd never done for another person before. But how was she supposed to compare the feeling when her only other romantic relationship ended in chaos?

"Evie?"

Genevieve sprung up, running to Seth. He wrapped her in an embrace as soon as they were close enough to each other. She buried her face into his chest, all too aware that he was only wearing cut off shorts.

"What happened?"

Genevieve sighed, "an argument with my mom. I just can't be here anymore."

Seth didn't push her. Genevieve was grateful for it. Her heart pounded at the thought of him being her soulmate. She'd have to tell him, right?

"Where do you want to go?" Seth's voice was soft as gently cupped her face, wiping away tears she didn't realize she'd shed.

Genevieve bit her lip. She had two options. Option one: she could go to Sam and Emily's where probably everyone else in the pack would be. Or option two: she could go to the Cullens. As much as she liked the pack, she knew that they'd pry. And that was the last thing she needed.

"The Cullens," she said softly.

Seth nodded, his face full of understanding. Seth pulled away, turning around. He turned his head towards me, a happy smile on his face. "Jump on."

Genevieve snorted, putting her hands on her hips. "A piggy back ride?"

"Well it's either that or I shift into a wolf and you ride my back like a horse."

Genevieve huffed, deciding to jump on his back without warning. Seth swayed, the two of them erupting in laughter as he placed his hands under her thighs. Genevieve wrapped her arms around his neck, resting her chin on his shoulder.

"Don't drop me." Genevieve couldn't help but let the words carry a double meaning. Her heart thudded painfully in her chest as the words hung in the air. She tightened her hold on him the same moment he tightened his. When he opened his mouth, Genevieve knew that she was done for. She was absolutely smitten with Seth Clearwater, and there was no turning back.

"I'd never drop you, Evie."