22

"You guys had a secret meeting in the middle of the night so that Jasper could teach you how to fight the newborns?" Genevieve frowned as she turned her head to look at Seth. They were laying in the grass of her backyard, taking advantage of the uncharacteristically sunny day.

Genevieve had called Rosalie as soon as she and her mother came to their realization last night. Rosalie didn't sound surprised, and honestly they would've come to the conclusion earlier if Alice hadn't insisted that she would've seen Victoria choosing to plot against Bella. Genevieve could admit that Victoria was smart; she had to be to be able to evade Alice's visions so well. Genevieve just wished Riley wasn't just a pawn in Victoria's game. She couldn't help but think of all the innocent people that were taken for the sake of Victoria's vendetta; all the families that were never going to know what happened to their loved ones...

"Yeah, it was totally badass!" Seth's enthusiasm snapped Genevieve back to reality. She let a small smile stretch her lips, reaching over to take Seth's hand in hers. He held her hand in a firm grip, wordlessly letting her know that he was there for her.

"I can't picture a bunch of vampires and wolves hanging out in a clearing while beating the shit out of each other for practice. It's straight out of a bad action movie," Genevieve snorted.

"Well, we didn't do anything. Sam thought it was too dangerous to train with them, so we just watched."

"And that's enough for you to know how to fight an army of newborns?" Genevieve bit her lip, "what if it's not and one of you gets hurt?"

"Evie, fighting vampires is in our blood. Most of it is instinct; the insight Jasper has is really just tips that will give us even more of an advantage on the newborns. They don't even know we exist." Genevieve sighed as she ran her thumb across Seth's knuckles, turning her gaze to the sky. She missed days like this, when she could feel the sun on her face and the promise of rain was nowhere to be seen.

"I still think you guys should actually practice," Genevieve sighed. She took a breath, feeling her heart skip a beat as a thought ran through her head. "Are you going to be with them then? During the battle?"

Seth sighed. Genevieve could hear the annoyance in the simple action. "No. Sam says I'm too young and it's too dangerous. Edward and Bella are going to be camping out up the mountains away from the fight. I'll be there with them so they can have a link to what's going on while we wait it out."

Genevieve tried to hide the relief she felt when Seth told her he wasn't going to be fighting. She knew Seth was capable of taking care of himself, but the thought of him getting hurt - or worse - made her head spin. She turned her head away from the sky, her breath caught in her throat as her eyes met Seth's. Genevieve didn't even realize how close they were laying next to each other until their turned heads cause their noses to brush. She was close enough to see small flecks of gold in his brown eyes, shimmering brightly in the sun. She felt warm, almost too warm, as she became completely captivated with his features. There was no denying the beauty that was Seth Clearwater, especially when his beautiful heart shone brighter than any star in the sky.

"Is it selfish for me to say I'm glad you're not fighting?" Genevieve whispered, feeling incredibly vulnerable as Seth watched her.

"No, it's not," Seth replied softly. He squeezed her hand, "if you were anywhere near the fight I'd probably lose my mind."

Genevieve squeezed his hand back, knowing that everyone felt better about her and Lorelei staying with Emily during the fight. Colin and Brady, two new wolves would be patrolling Emily's house to make sure that they were safe. Genevieve knew her mother was worried about the possibility of Victoria making an appearance while everyone was distracted with the army, and the promise that they wouldn't be left unprotected eased her nerves a bit.

Genevieve knew the threat that hovered over them was steadily approaching, and it scared her. She was scared that someone was going to get hurt. She was scared they were going to lose. She was scared Victoria would get to her. She was scared she was going to lose Seth.

The fight with her mother echoed in her ears as she felt her heart clench at the thought of losing Seth to vampires.

So, she decided it was now or never.

"Seth, I need to tell you something." Genevieve sat up, folding her hands in her lap. She bit her lip, trying to figure out where to start as Seth sat up.

"Evie, what's wrong?"

Genevieve took a deep breath, "please don't freak out when I tell you. I know we haven't really talked about us yet, I mean there's an army of vampires out there so it's not really a priority. But if we're going to keep being together then I need to tell you." She stopped her rambling when Seth took her hand, his eyes shining with understanding, as if he knew what she was trying to say. "Sirens, um, we have soulmates. I didn't even know about it until a couple nights ago; that's why I got into a fight with my mom the night you took me to the Cullens. But yeah, we have soulmates. And I'm pretty sure you're mine."

Genevieve wanted to pull her hand away from Seth's, desperate to wipe the nervous sweat off her palms. Seth didn't say anything for a moment, but the look on his face made Genevieve's heart swoon.

Seth was looking at her as if she had just told him the greatest news of his life. His eyes were sparkling with joy, his face completely soft as a gentle smile stretched on his lips. Suddenly, Edward's words echoed in her ears.

He looks at you like you're the one who put the stars in the sky.

"There's something I have to tell you too," Seth started softly. "Wolves have soulmates too. After that night at the bonfire, I was pretty sure that you're mine. I tried telling you earlier but Victoria-" Genevieve swallowed hard at the reminder, her eyes casting a glance to the crescent shaped scar that would forever be on her wrist. "There's something else, Evie."

Genevieve tore her gaze away from her wrist, her heart skipping at the sincere look on Seth's face. "What else?"

"If a wolf loses their mate - their soulmate - then it's not long before the wolf dies or goes mad. Mates are the pack's top priority because of this." Genevieve felt horror strike through her heart. She knew that if anything were to happen to her she'd want Seth to move on, and know she had to bear the knowledge that there was no way for him to ever do that.

Genevieve clutched onto Seth's hands."But Victoria-"

"She's not going to get anywhere near you again," Seth said fiercely. His eyes darkened at the thought of the vampire going anywhere near Genevieve again. The first time was a mistake he was never going to let repeat. "I promise, Evie, I'll keep you safe from her."