29

"He left?!" Genevieve gasped as she kicked off her shoes at the Cullen's front entryway

"He left?!" Genevieve gasped as she kicked off her shoes at the Cullen's front entryway. She shivered as her bare feet touched the cold, hardwood floor. She walked next to Bella as the two made their way through the Cullen's home. Bella had asked Genevieve to come with her to wedding plan with Alice and when Genevieve saw the lonely look on Bella's face, she couldn't say no. And now she knew why Bella was feeling dejected; Jacob had ran off without warning and Bella was missing her best friend.

"That's what Emily said when I went down there yesterday looking for Jacob after he's been avoiding my calls all week. Apparently he left the day the invitations arrived," Bella said tightly. She stood with her arms crossed, watching absentmindedly as Genevieve took off her jacket.

"This isn't your fault," Genevieve grabbed Bella's hand, the two standing in the foyer. She could see the guilt plastered on Bella's face, the brunette refusing to meet her eyes. "He knew that you and Edward were getting married, you did all you could to make him understand that. Jacob leaving? That's on him and it's his mess that he's going to have to clean up whenever he decides to come back."

Bella sighed, brown eyes meeting brown. "Thanks, Gen." She hesitated for a moment, "Emily also said something about Seth being moody?"

Genevieve rolled her eyes, suppressing a groan. She should've known better than to think her love life would be kept private - the wolves loved to gossip. "It's nothing, I promise."

But it wasn't nothing. It's been a week since Matthew showed up and since then, Genevieve hadn't been able to spend as much time with her boyfriend as she used to. Matthew had been helping her master her voice as well as teaching her what it was like growing up surrounded by other Sirens. And when her mom came home from work or from a date with Charlie, the three of them would discuss the possibility of going to the hub of the Siren community: what they'd need to do to make everyone feel safe again and what being there would mean for Genevieve. Genevieve was surprised by how easily Matthew seemed to fit into the dynamic her and her mom had going. He was turning into the brother Genevieve never wanted.

Genevieve knew that Seth was feeling left out, especially since he and Matthew didn't get along from the beginning, but Genevieve didn't know what to do to fix it. Any time they were in the room together, they'd end up arguing about something (and that something usually was Genevieve).

"Gen," Bella squeezed the younger girl's hand. "If we're gonna be sisters one day, you need to open up. You can talk to me about anything."

Genevieve groaned, rolling her eyes. "A couple dates does not mean they're going to get married, Bella."

Bella laughed, pulling Genevieve close to wrap an arm around her. shoulder Genevieve wrapped her arm around Bella's waist, resting her head against the older girl's shoulder. Bella pulled Genevieve through the house, easily navigating through it. "Weddings bring people together, Gen. And if your mom just so happens to catch the bouquet then it's meant to be."