14

Genevieve learned to say goodbye to people at a young age. Her mother's sister died when Genevieve was 6. The two weren't super close, but her Aunt would be around for the holidays and that was enough to make the 6 year old cry for her lost family member. Her grandparents on her father's side died when she was 8 and 9. And then her grandmother on her mother's side died when Genevieve was 12.

But watching her father walk out the front door without looking back was the hardest goodbye that Genevieve ever had to say.

Her father was actively choosing to leave her behind. He decided that a life without her was better than a life mixed up in the supernatural.

And that broke Genevieve's heart.

All it took was a quiet sniffle from her for Seth to turn her around and pull her close.

Genevieve let herself melt into his embrace, burying her face into his sweatshirt as her hands gripped the fabric.

Seth bent down, swiftly lifting Genevieve off her feet, one arm under her knees and the other around her waist. "You're okay, Evie," he whispered as he carried her into the living room.

Genevieve didn't notice when he sat down, letting her curl herself into him. All she could think of how her father looked her in the face and walked out of her life. Without so much as a goodbye. He just left. And she'd probably never see him again.

Yes, he was garbage for running away from his family because he didn't understand the world that came with them. But he was still her father. He was still the man who would hold Genevieve when she was a kid and thunderstorms scared her. He was the man who she'd spend Sunday mornings with watching old movies.

He was still her dad.

She lifted her head when she heard the front door open, frowning when she saw her mother stormed into the house. Genevieve hastily got up from the couch, wiping away the tears on her face. "Mom? You're home early."

Lorelei glanced behind her daughter, the frown on her face evident as she glanced at Seth who still sat on the couch, watching the encounter. "I received a rather frantic call from your father saying how he was here and he was going to try and talk to you since you've been avoiding his calls." Lorelei moved toward her daughter, taking her face in her hands. "Are you okay?"

Genevieve nodded, feeling a fresh wave of tears overcome her as her mother held her. "He wanted to take me back, mom."

Lorelei sighed, pulling her daughter close into a hug. Genevieve sunk into her mother's embrace. "I'm not going to let him take you away, Eve. I promise."

The two stayed in the embrace until Genevieve pulled away, suddenly remembering that Seth was still there.

"Uh, mom, this is Seth. He's..." Genevieve paused, holding her breath as she tried to find a word for what he was to her. Yes, they were friends but they've both admitted that they liked each other in a way that was more than just friendship.

Lorelei quickly picked up on her daughter's hesitation, taking steps forward and stuck her hand out. "Nice to meet you, Seth. I'm Lorelei." She smiled politely when Seth stood, shaking her hand. "Are you staying for dinner?"

"He can't," Genevieve interrupted when she saw a look of horror quickly flash across Seth's eyes. "He actually has to get going."

Genevieve reached forward, practically dragging Seth behind her as she made her way to the front door. She yanked the door open, pulling Seth with her as she closed the door behind her.

"I'm sorry about... well about everything." Genevieve let go of Seth's hand, leaning against the door.

"Hey, it's okay." Seth shrugged, a carefree smile lighting up his face before a frown replaced it. "I'm sorry about your dad."

Genevieve shrugged, "it's okay. Hopefully he won't be coming back. It's better like this if he isn't willing to try and understand my world."

And it was true. Despite how scared she was of the supernatural world she had been thrown into, it was hers. It was the world she belonged to, and her dad wasn't going to take her away from it.

"I'm glad you're sticking around, Evie." Seth smiled softly, causing Genevieve to mimic the action.

"Me too." Her heart fluttered in her chest as he leaned forward, placing a gentle kiss on her cheek.

"I'll see you around." Genevieve bit her lip, keeping the grin at bay when she saw the boyish smile on his face. "Bye, Evie."

"Bye, Seth."