38

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"This could be my last chance to see them before whatever happens in Maine." Genevieve sighed as she sank into the passenger seat of the car. "Besides, she did really well yesterday with Charlie no thanks to you."

Jacob scoffed, shaking his head as he glanced at Genevieve from the corner of his eye before returning his attention to the road.

"Bella already gave me enough shit for it, I don't need it from you too. I know it was stupid but they're staying aren't they?"

Genevieve rolled her eyes. "You're kinda missing the point, but okay." Regardless, Genevieve let the subject drop.

"You really don't want to take Seth with you?"

Genevieve's face crumpled, her mind flashing back to the fight she and Seth had gotten into the night before.

Genevieve and Seth were laying on the grass, stargazing and relishing in the moment of peace. Bella had just called, raving about how great her control was while Charlie was there and how it felt like a weight of her shoulders that he had some idea of what was going on in the supernatural world.

"Mom's gonna tell Charlie about us," Genevieve said softly, keeping her gaze on the twinkling stars. In Chicago, she never was able to stargaze - the city lights made it impossible to see anything. Forks was completely different; she'd never seen so many stars before in her life.  "He took the whole Bella being not human thing pretty well and they're starting to get serious. We can't keep the secret from him forever. Especially since my mom is gonna start traveling back and forth between Maine a lot."

Seth hummed in agreement. Genevieve bit her lip, turning to watch Seth's reaction carefully to her next words.

"I'm gonna start going with her too. Like soon."

Seth said nothing for a moment, his jaw clenched for a brief moment. "How soon?"

"Next week," Genevieve said quietly.

"Next week?!" Seth sat up abruptly, turning to stare at Genevieve with wide eyes. "You're leaving next week? For how long?"

Genevieve sighed, moving to sit up as she shrugged. "I don't know. We're going to try and convince the council that there's no need to force everyone into hiding from the Volturi or any other vampires. Mom thinks it's gonna take at least a couple of weeks." She swallowed the lump in her throat, "maybe a month."

The two sat in silence for a heartbeat, neither knowing what to say. Genevieve knew there was no avoiding leaving. She had to go. She had a responsibility to her community, even if she'd only just found out about her true heritage. Her mother wouldn't ask her to leave unless she truly believed Genevieve could do something to help.

"Can I come?"

Genevieve's head whipped to look at Seth, her lips parted in surprise. She should've known better than to think Seth wouldn't want to go with her; that he wouldn't want to be right by her side as she went to face the Council.