36

The next morning, Genevieve went home

Her mother had picked her up from the Cullens at sunrise, not saying a word as Genevieve recounted the whole pregnancy story. Even Matthew was uncharacteristically silent on the drive home.

"I'm glad everything turned out alright, Eve." Her mother said as they pulled into the driveway. Genevieve stared at her mother, frowning at how uncharacteristically passive she was being.

"I'll take the luggage in," Matthew said as he quickly got out of the car.

Genevieve watched him for a moment before turning to face her mother, who had remained seated after turning off the car.

"Mom?" Genevieve asked quietly, knowing her mother well enough to be able to tell when something was wrong. "What happened?"

"The Council was a lot more divided than I had anticipated," Lorelei sighed as she leaned back into the driver's seat. "They were heavily considering moving everyone into hiding. They're scared the vampires know where we are and thought it was best to move everyone into a sanctuary."

"When you say everyone-"

"They mean everyone," Lorelei nodded. "Rounding all Sirens up from all over the country to live together, heavily relying on the whole 'safety in numbers'. The Volturi are getting more and more careless about their kind killing ours. Some believe that they're conspiring against us - plotting to kill us all. Right now the Volturi have no reason to kill us off, but no one knows what goes on in their minds. They might just want to get rid of Sirens just so they don't have to deal with us anymore."

Genevieve swallowed the lump in her throat, a shiver ran through her at the thought of red-eyed vampires coming for her family. She remembered the look on Victoria's face, each time the vampire came after her. The absolute feral look still haunted her dreams. Victoria was bad, but Genevieve knew that the Volturi were worse. "And what do you think?"

"I don't know what to think anymore, Genevieve. People are scared to be on their own, a choice has to be made soon about what our next steps are going to be. I've pacified the council for now but I'm going to have to go back soon - we're going to have to go back." Lorelei turned to look at her daughter, reaching out to grab her hand.

"We?" Genevieve turned, wide-eyed, toward her mother.

"I know I said I wanted to keep you away from it for now because of your friendship with the Cullens, but things are different. If you can show them that there are good vampires in the world, then maybe they'll be convinced that they don't have to go into hiding."

Genevieve leaned back into her seat, staring ahead at nothing as her mind raced. That was not at all what she expected her mother to come home with. Sure, her friendship with the Cullens may have been a bit out of touch with how the Sirens felt about vampires, but she didn't think it was enough to change the mind of the Council. Especially since it sounded like they were adamant to take everyone into hiding.