11

Genevieve nodded her head, opening the door so that Rosalie could walk through the door

Genevieve nodded her head, opening the door so that Rosalie could walk through the door. Genevieve tried not to stare at the vampire as she walked gracefully through the door, almost as if she was gliding.

"Um, I don't want to sound rude or anything, but why are you here?" Genevieve followed Rosalie as she walked through the house, almost as if it was hers. The two ended up in the living room, the blonde taking a seat on the couch.

"Bella is at our house, so I thought I'd spare myself the trouble of her and Edward's melodramatics and come see you." Rosalie shrugged, leaning back effortlessly into the couch. "That and you aren't supposed to be alone. Especially now that we think there's a newborn army out there." Rosalie paused, watching Genevieve carefully. "You don't seem too surprised to hear about the army."

Genevieve sighed, hating that everyone seemed to be able to read her so easily. "A lot has happened this morning. A newborn army isn't exactly the biggest news I've heard." Genevieve moved to sit next to Rosalie, wrapping her arms around herself.

"What happened?" Genevieve was shocked by the softness in Rosalie's voice, turning to find it mirrored in her expression. "Don't look at me like that. I know Bella's told you about my dislike towards her, but I don't hold the same feelings towards you. You didn't ask for this life, you were thrown into it. You're only a kid who's been targeted simply because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time." Rosalie reached out and placed a hand on Genevieve's shoulder. Genevieve surprised herself when she didn't flinch at the cold touch, instead relax at the gentleness of it. "You can talk to me, Genevieve."

Genevieve didn't know why, or how, but Rosalie's words seem to cut through her. So Genevieve found herself, tears lining her eyes, telling Rosalie everything. Leaving Chicago, her initial fear of the supernatural, her mother's involvement in the disappearances that turned out to be someone building an army, finding out that she and her family are Sirens and apparently vampires had been hunting her kind for centuries, her feelings towards a certain wolf that terrified her (the feelings not Seth; Genevieve doubted the boy would hurt a fly), and her confusion with it all.

Rosalie didn't say anything as Genevieve spoke, only listening and brushing tears off of Genevieve's face when they spilled from her eyes. Genevieve was surprised by Rosalie's gentle touch, it reminding her of her mother whenever Rosalie would brush away hair from Genevieve's face or wipe the tears off her cheeks or rub her back soothingly.

"I just want to be normal again," Genevieve complained as she fell back into the couch. "Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for everything you and your family have done to protect me, but I'm 15. My biggest worries should be boys and getting my driver's license."

"Life isn't always kind," Rosalie sighed. "We need to make the most of it though, or we'd get left behind."

Genevieve watched Rosalie for a moment. "You know, my grandmother used to tell me that all the time. She always knew what to say when I was growing up. She'd tell me stories about Sirens growing up; when I was younger I'd pretend they were real. It was always a game for me, and now it's my life," she sighed. "She'd know what to say now."