41

Genevieve took Matthew's words to heart

If she was going to meet everyone, then she was going to make a good first impression. She just hoped that any judgement they already made about her weren't going to negatively affect the rest of their stay. It wasn't that Genevieve particularly cared what people thought of her - she learned from a young age that you can't expect everyone to like you - she just wanted to be able to understand her heritage. She never really knew her mother's side of the family growing up, only being able to see her grandmother whenever she visited. She'd met all of her family once, when her mother's sister Cecelia died when Genevieve was 6. But she didn't remember her family at all. It didn't help that after Grandma Sylvia died, Lorelei didn't keep in contact with her siblings, not even to get together for the funeral. Genevieve wondered how they've changed since then.

Genevieve jumped when a soft knocking came from the door, snapping her out of her thoughts. A second passed before the door opened, revealing her mother. Lorelei was dressed in a simple pink dress with a gold belt around her waist. Her dark hair was pulled to the side, the curls falling effortlessly over her shoulder. Lorelei's make up was done simply, her glossed lips pursed as she walked into the room, closing the door behind her.

"Mom," Genevieve breathed, walking into her mother's arms. She rested her cheek against her mother's shoulder, sighing in content as her mother brushed her straightened hair back. "What if they don't like me?"

"Then they'll be missing out on the best person in the world," Lorelei said firmly. She pulled back, keeping her hands on Genevieve's shoulders. "Genevieve, you've made vampires love you. This will be less scary. Probably."

"Thanks," Genevieve rolled her eyes before moving back toward the vanity. She sighed, brushing her straightened hair behind her ear, eyes surveying her outfit. She'd put on a simple red, long sleeved dress. It flowed freely right above her knees with simple ballet flats on her feet. "How many people are gonna be at dinner?" She asked, glancing at her mother through the mirror, her hand reaching up to fiddle with the small wolf charm that hung around her neck, wanting nothing more than for Seth to be there with her.

"It's hard to say," Lorelei sighed. "My sister and her wife and kids will be there. My brother is probably going to be here too although I'm not sure if he's bringing his wife, I heard her morning sickness has been pretty rough lately."

"You never talk about them," Genevieve turned to face her mother, leaning against the vanity. "What happened?"

Lorelei sighed again, pursing her lips. "We never saw eye to eye. My mother always wanted me to take her place on the Council and would say that my siblings didn't have what it took to do it. She loved us dearly, but there's no doubt that she liked to play favorites. I know you love your grandmother, Eve, but she wasn't perfect. When I decided to move away, my siblings were furious and cut me out. In their minds, I threw away everything they wanted. They didn't understand why I wanted to be on my own. They didn't see being here as suffocating as I did. Things didn't change after your grandmother died. Neither of them got the seat on the Council, since my mother was very vocal about not wanting them to have it."