39

Let it be said that Genevieve Ceto does not like traveling

Don't get her wrong, she loves exploring new places and being in different environments. It's the actual traveling she hates. She hates having to pack - it gives her too much anxiety (what if she forgets something? Is she packing too much? Is she packing enough? What if the weather changes unexpectedly and she's unprepared?) She hates dealing with random strangers at the airport who no matter how many times the TSA officers tell you to take off shoes and empty pockets, still try and walk through security with shoes on and their phone in their pants pocket. She hates the crying babies and screaming children. She hates the people who chew too loudly and the people who kick the back of her seat.

Genevieve hates to travel.

So, standing in front of her bed staring at the piles of clothes she laid out, Genevieve found herself thinking about how much she was dreading the flight to Maine she had to be on the next day.

"Gen, stop overthinking it. We're going to Maine, not the middle of nowhere Germany. If you forget something we can go buy it." Matthew groaned from his spot at the keyboard bench. "And we're gonna be able to do laundry there anyway. You're fine."

Genevieve pursed her lips as she gave the piles of clothes a once over again. "But we don't know how long we're gonna be there. And besides, I don't want to just take whatever - I want to at least look somewhat presentable when the Council, and literally everyone else there, judges everything that I'm doing."

Matthew sighed again, knowing that she wasn't going to change her mind any time soon. "The Council is really not that big of a deal. They're just a bunch of snobbish old people who think they know everything so they're not open to any new ideas. They hate change and want to keep things exactly the way they are. That's why they want to move everyone underground - it's easier to control people and stop change from happening."

Genevieve watched Matthew very carefully, noticing the way his demeanor changed - his usual happy-go-lucky self gone as he glared bitterly at the keyboard in front of him. Genevieve knew that Sirens were not too keen on half-sirens, Matthew had said as much, but she'd never asked him about what it was like to be a half-siren back in Maine. And now, watching him rant about the very group of people meant to protect their kind, Genevieve knew that she should have spent more time trying to know more about him and how he grew up.

"Do you-" Genevieve hesitated, averting her gaze to the window, watching as the almost-brown leaves rustled in the wind. "Do you think there's any chance at all? That we'll change their minds?"

Matthew sighed, scratching the back of his neck. "I don't know." Genevieve turned her gaze to him, brown eyes meeting brown eyes. "But if there's anyone who could do it, it's you. You're too stubborn to let it go any other way."

"Gee thanks," Genevieve rolled her eyes, turning her gaze back to the window. A sigh escaped her lips as her hand reached up to clutch the wolf charm that hung around her neck, her heart clenching as she stared at the woods.

"Leah said she's willing to force him to come here when we head to the airport tomorrow."

"I don't want him to come if he doesn't want to," Genevieve sighed. "How did Leah take it? Did she ask to come too?"

"Of course she did," Matthew said softly. "But she also knows that the Council already doesn't like me too much because I'm a half-Siren. She knows what the consequences of bringing an outsider would be. But that doesn't make it easier."

"It never does."

Leah arrived early the next morning, right before breakfast. She tried to offer assurance that Seth was coming, but Genevieve felt the doubt stronger after seeing Leah arrive alone.

Jacob arrived after breakfast. Genevieve couldn't say she was surprised when he arrived at the door, but she was surprised at the note that he had for her from Alice. It wasn't an extensive note, but it did make Genevieve pause.

"Don't forget, actions speak louder than words." Genevieve's face scrunched in frustration, "what the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Lorelei sighed, wrapping her arm around her daughter. "I'm sure it's Alice's way of saying that what you're doing is the right thing."

"Or it means that we'll have to do something drastic because our words aren't gonna be enough to convince the Council." Matthew said casually, wincing when Leah slapped his arm. "What? I'm just being realistic. There's a chance that they're not gonna listen to us - I'm not exactly okay with just taking no for an answer."

"Hopefully it won't have to come to that," Lorelei said sternly. "But we will be ready for anything."

Genevieve watched as her mother checked her watch, "finish packing - we leave in two hours."

Genevieve sank into her seat, watching as everyone cleared out of the kitchen, leaving her and Jacob.

"He's not coming, is he?" Genevieve felt her bottom lip tremble. "Maybe that's what Alice meant. He can tell me that he's always going to be there, but he's not."

"Gen," Jacob sighed softly, taking her hands in his. "Seth adores you. He would literally do anything you asked if it made you happy. It's just that... He saw how Leah was when Matthew left the first time. She was a mess, worried all the time and couldn't sleep. He's just scared. Especially if there's a possibility that you might not come back. But make no mistake, that kid worships the ground you walk on."

Genevieve averted her gaze, knowing that Jacob was right. "That doesn't make this hurt any less," she mumbled.

"I know." Jacob reached forward, wrapping Genevieve in a tight hug. Genevieve let herself sink into his embrace, trying desperately to ignore her longing for Seth's arms. "Come on, I'll help you finish packing."

"Bold of you to think I'm not already done packing," Genevieve retorted as she and Jacob got up. As soon as they reached the stairs, there was a rim knock on the front door. With a glance from Jacob, Genevieve rushed to the door, hope bubbling in her chest.

Hesitating for a brief moment, she threw the door open, her heart leaping in her chest.

"Seth. You came."

"Of course I came," Seth frowned gently. "I wasn't going to let you leave like that."

Genevieve smiled gently, throwing herself into Seth's arms, pulling him in for a kiss. Seth held her tightly, the two of them savoring the moment, knowing it was going to be their last for a while. 

"I'm sorry-"

"You don't have anything to be sorry for," Seth said quietly, resting his forehead against hers. "I get it. Leah talked some sense into me yesterday. I'm sorry I overreacted."

Genevieve sighed, sinking into Seth's embrace, letting all the tension go from her body. She may be going into the unknown, but knowing that Seth was always going to be in her corner gave her relief. She'd be able to fight anything, as long as Seth was there to love and support her.