32

"Jake's been asking about you again

"Jake's been asking about you again."

Genevieve sighed, rubbing her temples as she sat up. It had been a few days since the beach incident, and while Jacob had been trying to call Genevieve, she wanted nothing to do with him. What he said hurt, a lot, and she wasn't ready to forgive him yet. So yes, she was doing all that she could to avoid him. It didn't help that Jacob had Seth to relay messages to her. 

"Did you tell him that I'm still not talking to him?" Genevieve opened her eyes to peer at Seth. The two had decided to go on a small picnic into the woods near Genevieve's house. The found a pretty meadow and were laying on the blanket, taking advantage of the usually clear sky.

"Of course I did," Seth sat up, lacing his fingers with hers. Genevieve would never get used to the way their hands fit together, so effortlessly as if they belonged together. 

Genevieve sighed, "I will give him one thing - he's annoyingly persistent. No wonder Bella couldn't get rid of him."

Seth snorted, leaning forward to rest his head against Genevieve's shoulder. She sighed again, leaning her head against Seth's. "That's not the only thing bothering you, is it?"

"No," Genevieve closed her eyes, knowing better than to pretend like she was fine. Seth always knew how to read her moods. "It's my mom."

Seth hummed in response, already knowing what Genevieve was talking about.

Lorelei and Matthew would be going to Maine for a few weeks to deal with the Siren council and try and help settle things down. As much as Genevieve wanted to go (and if she was really honest, she didn't want to go at all), both Matthew and Lorelei thought it was best to keep Genevieve away from the prying eyes of their kind until they weren't ready to keep pointing fingers for the destruction of a safe house. If they found out about Genevieve's involvement with the Cullens and the pack, she'd been scrutinized and accused.

It was safer for her to stay in Forks until her mother and Matthew came back.

"They'll be okay," Seth assured.

"I know," Genevieve sighed. "I know they aren't in any danger by going over there. I just don't want to have to hide from the council. I understand why I can't be there, but whether they like it or not, I'm a Siren and it's my right to know where I come from. I hate being in the dark about it. Especially if I'm supposed to play a role in it."

"Your mom knows what she's doing. If she says it's not safe for you to be there, then you should stay away."

Genevieve rolled her eyes, "you're just saying that because you hate the idea of me leaving for three weeks."

"Well that's definitely part of it." Genevieve snorted, shaking her head at her boyfriend.

"Are you going to visit me while I'm at the Cullen's?" Genevieve smiled sweetly at her boyfriend, lifting their intertwined hands to her lips, pressing her lips gently to the back of Seth's hands.