Kageyama x Male Reader (ANGST)

hey all!
Sorry for not updating by my usual schedule... I was just trying to get back on track...
Anyway, this chapter is based on a fic called 'Come Morning Light' on AO3 or Archive Of Our Own and I couldn't stop crying, cringing, or just... sympathizing with the characters and reading through all the troubles they faced. I recommend it, but it does have graphic depictions of violence and major character death. Although a great book, I wouldn't recommend it if you have a weak stomach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wastelanders. That's what they were called. They risked their lives in the harsh weather that lay in store past the main doors of Awa, the camp they were in. Coming back from the power plant where he worked, Kageyama scanned the room for the messy mop of (H/C) hair he knew. Finally spotting it, he strode over, soon seeing (M/N) interact with Oikawa through sign language. Oikawa had lost his voice, but that didn't stop him from talking with his friends, companions, and acquaintances. Waiting until their conversation had finished, Kageyama tapped (M/N)'s shoulders, grabbing his attention. Turning around, Kageyama saw something flash in (M/N)'s pretty (E/C) eyes, but brushed it off as just the light. "So, how was tod-", Kageyama was cut off by (M/N) jumping up to enfold him in a warm hug. Kageyama looked at Oikawa, who gave him a solemn look. "(M/N)? What's wrong?", Kageyama ran his hand up and down (M/N)'s back calmingly, feeling (M/N) relax under his grip.

(M/N) dropped his arms, but left his head on Kageyama's shoulder. "I'll tell you later, but right now, let's sit.", (M/N) intertwined their fingers, and kissed Kageyama's hand. Together, they sat, still holding hands, and (M/N) rested his head on Kageyama's shoulder, as if embracing the moments they had together. At the end of the day, when everything was said and done, Kageyama got into the bed he shared with (M/N). Kageyama turned to (M/N) and wrapped his arms around his torso. "So, what's the problem?", Kageyama whispered under his breath, inhaling (M/N)'s scent. "I'm being sent on a mission, but I don't know if I'll be coming back...", (M/N) murmured. Kageyama tilted (M/N)'s head up and pecked his lips, still a little cold from his mission a couple hours ago. "You are going to come back. I know it.", Kageyama murmured against (M/N)'s lips. "You're right...", (M/N) curled up into Kageyama and slept.

It all came too fast. (M/N)'s mission. Kageyama grasped (M/N)'s hands in a tight grip and tears pricked his eyes. "Hey, you said I'll be back... Don't doubt your own words...", (M/N) kissed away Kageyama's tears. "You're right.", he nodded. They embraced each other one last time, and they went their separate ways. He kept this in his head, but Kageyama noticed that the group was smaller than usual. He shrugged it off, unconcerned. He didn't realize the looks of either sympathy or pity that were being thrown at him as he walked past. After a couple hours, Kageyama kept glancing at the door, expecting (M/N) to walk in with a smile on his face, but it never arrived. He pushed back the thought of a dead (M/N) in the snow and decided they were running late. Yeah... That's it... They were running late... Nothing else.

A couple more hours pass. "Where are they? They're usually never this late... Unless... No. That's not it.", Kageyama shook his head as he ate dinner, expecting (M/N) to burst through the main doors and running into Kageyama's arms. "D-Daichi-san? Do you know where the wastelanders went?", Kageyama asked as Daichi passed. All he did, though, was shrug. Kageyama went around, asking about the wastelanders. Some looked down, others broke down into tears, prompting Kageyama to bow and apologize. A few days passed, and they still weren't back. This worried him greatly. Later, more wastelanders went out. This made Kageyama decide that they were lost and needed help coming back. 'Yeah, that was it.' 

Oh only if it was.

Kageyama watched as the wastelanders who went out earlier came back with bundles of blankets. Some were bloodied, but that didn't change the fact that (M/N) was still nowhere to be found. His name was called from the group and he walked up reluctantly, not wanting to accept this reality. "He was a noble soldier." was all he received before handed a small bundle.  He walked to his bunk, sitting on his bed.  He wished he hadn't opened the bundle.

There lay his thick jacket, along with a small note.  Reluctantly, Kageyama picked up the note, taking in a heavy breath before reading it.
Before he even started reading, he felt hot tears pour down his cheeks.

Hey, Love.
It's me, your boyfriend.
The mission I was sent on was a suicide mission. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I didn't want you to hold me back. It was for your own safety. I'd do anything to keep you safe and you know that.
I just want to say this.
I love you. I love you so damn much. I love your hair. I love your personality. I love your voice.  I love you. I love you. I love you. Don't you think for a moment that I never loved you.
See you later, Alligator. <3
~Love, (M/N).

Kageyama rubbed his eyes, not wanting to believe it.  All the trouble they went through together.  All the hardships they faced.   Everything.  Kageyama clenched the note and cried.   All he could do was cry.
How pathetic was he.  Daichi just walked in and brought Kageyama in for a hug.  That didn't do anything except make him grasp Daichi's shirt and cry.  Cry, and cry, and cry.   The jacket still held the musky scent of (M/N), but now also held the copper scent of blood.
Kageyama didn't want this.  He didn't deserve this.  But, Come Morning Light, this would all be in the past.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, so I almost cried while writing this, not gonna lie.

So, Come Morning Light is a Haikyuu fanfic that describes the struggles that Karasuno faces as Japan is struck in a Nuclear War.
They travel across the country, seeing recognized faces, and traveling as a group to face the hardships they face.  There is blood, gore, PTSD, death, and illnesses, but nonetheless, I enjoyed the book.
The ending just broke my heart.

Word count: 1109 words (including this)