3. Dinner

Dinner was... awkward to say the least.

Josh had taken Tyler with him in his car so his three siblings could ride with their parents to the restaurant. The two jammed out to some songs along the way and Tyler even gained another idea for his list when they passed by a campsite. (Much to Josh's distaste. "Camping is fucking gross. Have you ever seen Supernatural? Those people died in season one." "Supernatural is fake." "Still... bears man.")

The Dun family plus Tyler were currently sitting in a large corner booth, Tyler on the end followed by Josh, his siblings, his mom, and his dad right across from the brunette.

The thing that had started the awkwardness was Ashley making a comment on Josh's hair. "Josh, your red is fading. Are you gonna re-dye it?"

"Yes but I don't think I'm gonna keep the red. I might dye it something else in a few weeks."

"I wanna dye my tips blue but Dad said no," the fifteen year old grumbled before taking a sip of her drink, all waiting for their food.

Confusion seeping onto Josh's features, he glanced over to his dad. "Why not? If it goes wrong or turns green you can trim it off. It's long enough."

"Because Josh," he sighed. "It's not normal. It'll make her look trashy. I'm not letting your sister walk sound looking like a whore. And if we do have to cut it off she's not going around looking like a lesbian either."

"Those have no corre–" Josh took a deep breath to avoid getting upset. "You let me dye my hair."

"No, you asked me and I said no and then you died it with that hooligan friend of yours, Brendon, the day after."

"And it turned out good!" He dramatically ran a hand through his hair, earning giggles from his siblings and a suppressed smile from Tyler.

"No," Bill said sternly, voice ever so slightly raised. The laughter died quickly. "We're done having this conversation."

Laura, sensing the tension, cleared her throat and threw a fake smile on her face. "So... Tyler. Are you excited for Princeton? New Jersey, huh?

"Yeah," Tyler smiled. "I mean it's far but like... I don't know it's been my dream school for forever. And I'm really passionate about psychology and such. I know it's gonna take a long time and a lot of work and money but all I really wanna do is help people, y'know?"

"That's beautiful, honey," she replied. "I mean I know for one thing I'm proud of you. You've been friends with Josh for so long it started feeling like you one one my kids," she laughed. "I'm really happy for you."

"Thank you," Tyler blushed slightly at the compliment. "Thank you so much."

"Yeah, it's nice being proud of someone, even if you aren't our kid. I can't really say the same for my own."

"Bill..." Laura warned quietly. Josh shifted uncomfortably next to Tyler and could tell he had noticed.

"It's really nice you're going to college and not staying home to live with your parents until God knows when," Bill continued. "Like I said, can't say the same for Josh."

Josh took a deep breath, clenching his hands underneath the table. He felt Ashley grab one of them tightly. Looking over at his younger sister, she gave him a week smile which he was ultimately grateful for.

The waitress walked over just then, bringing everyone's food.

Thank God, Josh thought as he let out a breath.

The rest of dinner was eaten in relative silence, Tyler and Josh mumbling to each other from time to time and Jordan and Abbie debating which Pokémon was better but after they both agreed on Machamp being pretty powerful, it was quiet again.

The silence continued while Bill paid for their dinner, it continued as they all walked out of the restaurant, and it continued until Tyler and Josh entered the latter's car.

Once both doors were shut Josh slammed his hand on the wheel in frustration. "Fuck!"

"Josh..." he heard Tyler say. "Don't let him get to you. You know he's just saying that to be a dick."

"That's a lot easier said than done, Tyler!"

"I know," the older replied in a quiet voice.

Josh sighed, rubbing a hand through his hair. "I just... I'm sorry for yelling. He just makes me so upset."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Josh turned the ignition. "Not your fault."

Just like before, the rest of the car ride was silent.

Upon getting back to Josh's house, they two decided that Tyler should go home to work on his list alone they could FaceTime if they needed each other's help. So that what's Josh was doing, sitting in his bed alone, completing his list. "I hate this god damn fucking list," he mumbled.

There was a soft knock at his door, interrupting him. "Come in," he sighed. It opened to reveal his mom, a soft smile on her face and a plate in her hand. Upon closer inspection, Josh realized it was a brownie.

"Hey, honey. Can we talk?"

"If it's about dinner it's fine," Josh began as Laura walked over and set the plate on the nightstand, sitting on the edge of the bed after. Josh continued to write as he rambled. "It's fine I'm used to it. He had an even worse reaction when I told him I didn't wanna go to college and I don't expect him to care or to understand. I don't know why you're not disappointed in me but I deserve–"

Laura grabbed his hand to get him to stop writing, holding it in her own and giving it a little squeeze. "Josh, I'm so so so proud of you. I don't care that you're not going to Princeton or Stanford or Harvard or any fancy school. I love your red hair and your nose ring, as alarming as they are, but they make you you. You're an amazing young man and you may do things a little wild but I know you're smart and safe. I love you, baby."

"Thanks, Mom," Josh smiled. "I love you too. You might want to retract that statement when I ask you this question."

"Try me," she laughter softly.

"Can I smoke a joint?"