15. Popcorn

Josh and Tyler were sitting on Tyler's bed, watching a movie and eating popcorn. And by eating popcorn they were throwing it at each other to see if they could catch a piece in their mouths.

Heathers was playing in the background, acting as filler noise while the two talked. "So," Tyler piped up. "Your birthday is on Saturday."

It was currently Monday, two days after Tyler's date. Josh hadn't really said anything about his only that him and Debby did in fact fuck ("It was weird but like good at the same time? Like a desperate fuck. On both ends. It's been awhile since I've had sex." "Josh I don't need to know about this." "Are your virgin ears quaking?" "I'll beat your fucking ass.") but Josh also told Tyler she kept texting him and trying to go out again and in all honesty he just wanted a one night stand.

Tyler, on the other hand, chose not to think about his date with Jenna. He loved her, he really did, but he didn't feel any sort of connection in a more than friends sense. They had been texting as usual and it was the same as before— no flirting, no hinting at another date, no confessions of love. He knew she liked him still, it was obvious, but he didn't like her in that way and didn't know how to break it to her.

"Yes indeed it is," Josh popped a piece of popcorn in his mouth. "And what about it?"

"I know you're thinking of that Ariana Grande meme," Tyler called him out.

"You have no proof," Josh replied. "But for real what about my birthday?"

"You're turning 18."

"Correct."

"Is there anything special you wanna do?"

"Hmm not really," he shrugged. "I mean I originally planned on having a get together like every year but that's not gonna happen this year. No one has heard anything out of Brendon for obviously reasons— I wouldn't want him here anyway. Pete, Dallon, and Meagan have just been kinda distant. I can invite Jenna, Hayley, Ashley, and Sarah though."

Tyler really didn't want to see Jenna. He told Josh the date went good and he wanted to take her out again but that was a lie. He just didn't want to hurt her feelings. He'd never forgive himself if did that. "What about me?"

"Who?"

"Shut the fuck up."

"Sorry Ty girls only party," Josh ate another piece of popcorn. "Oh wait you can still come then never mind."

Tyler took his pillow and threw it at Josh, resulting in the two laughing. When it died down Tyler spoke. "I hate you."

"I love you too, Ty Guy," Josh smiled. "Of course you're coming. You're my best friend. That would be like illegal if I didn't invite you."

"Good," Tyler paused. "It's kinda tragic."

"What is?"

"That you have all these girl friends but no girlfriend."

Josh gasped. "Tyler Joseph I will revoke your invitation to Josh's Fantastic Birthday Bash."

"You gave it a name?" Tyler groaned, falling back onto his pillow. "Why the hell did you give it a name?"

Josh set the bowl of popcorn on the floor and laid back next to Tyler on his other pillow. "Why did your parents give you a name? Oh yeah because it made sense."

"That didn't make any sense," Tyler argued.

"You don't make any sense," Josh countered.

"Josh I'll beat your ass," Tyler told him.

"I'm much bigger than you there's no way. You're scrawny and have no arm muscle. Your Pokémon stats aren't very good. Besides aren't you like 153 pounds?"

"One," the brunette began. "Stop hanging out with Abbie you just said my Pokémon stats weren't very good. Two, I weigh more than 153 pounds."

Josh shot him a look.

"Okay maybe not," Josh began snickering. "But I can still beat your ass metaphorically."

"Got it," his friends replied, still laughing.

"Stop making fun of me," Tyler grabbed the pillow that was thrown earlier off the bed and buried his face in it with a groan.

"Ty, I'm just messing with you," Josh took the pillow from him and tossed it on the floor. Heads still on the remaining pillows, the two stared at each other for a moment, looking deeply into each other's eyes. Tyler blinked and Josh grinned. "I won."

"What?" Tyler asked, raising an eyebrow.

"We were having a staring contest, right?"

"You're so annoying," the brunette groaned once again and sat up. Josh sat up too, a smile still on his face. "Going back to your birthday, there isn't anything you want to do for it?"

Josh shook his head. "Nope. You know me, Ty. I'm pretty laid back. I just wanna chill with the remainder of my friends that haven't fucked me over."

"Okay... what do you want for your birthday? I'm buying you a present whether you want one or not."

"Hmm," Josh thought for a moment. "A new best friend."

Tyler glared. "You dick."

"I try," he shrugged, an ear to ear grin on his face.

"I'm not coming over anymore."

"I'm fine with that."

"I'm not going to send you a happy birthday meme."

"Woah woah woah," Josh looked at him. "No need to be harsh, my dude. I'm just joking around. You know I tolerate you."

"Tolerate. Thank you, Joshua. You're the best friend anyone could ever ask for," he said sarcastically. Tyler reached over the bed and grabbed the bowl of popcorn off the floor, sitting back up and setting it on the mattress in between the two boys.

"You're welcome," Josh winked. He saw Tyler grab a piece of popcorn and gesture for the red haired to open his mouth. "Okay, I'll catch it this time I promise."

Tyler aimed. "Don't make promises you can't keep," he sang. "And if you miss it's your fault because I played basketball for five years."

"Just throw the damn popcorn," Josh ordered before opening his mouth. Tyler rolled his eyes and tossed the food, watching it land directly in his mouth. Josh closed his mouth and the two cheered before breaking out into grins. "I take it back you can still be my best friend."

"Yeah yeah. Whatever."