17. Best Friend

Tyler, Josh, Ashley, Hayley, Jenna, and Sarah all sat on Josh's living room floor playing Cards Against Humanity— just like they had a few weeks ago when summer had first started. It was actually Ashley's game that she had brought both times because as laid back as Josh's mom was, Josh had told Tyler she wouldn't approve of the game. It was almost nine and they were just killing time before everyone except Tyler left.

It wasn't a bad party per say... but you could tell Josh just wasn't in the mood. Jim was laying down on the floor next to him, head in Josh's lap but that didn't even cheer him up. Everyone could sense something was wrong too. Especially Tyler.

"Okay," Jenna giggled. "This is so bad but... 'what brings out the child in me?' a miscarriage."

"Jesus Christ," Sarah mumbled, stifling her laugh.

They still weren't playing right. They never did. You were supposed to have the judge shuffle their cards and pick the best one but they really just read their own cards to see funny answers. No one kept score either. It was just something to get a laugh out of everyone.

Tyler saw Josh glance over at the clock on his wall and saw it two minutes until nine. "Okay," he sighed. "It's almost nine and I don't want you guys getting in trouble with your parents for being late. I'll clean up. Thank you for coming," everyone stood up and grabbed their things before walking to the door. "Thanks for the presents too. I love you guys."

"Of course, J," Hayley hugged him. "Are you sure you're okay?" Tyler heard her whisper in his ear as they embraced.

They pulled back and Josh nodded. "Yeah I'm just tired. I'm gonna clean up and we're probably just gonna go to bed," he shrugged.

"Okay. Text me if you need anything," she told him seriously. "Happy Birthday."

"Happy Birthday, Josh! I love you," Ashley kissed his cheek before the two walked out. "Bye, guys!" She called.

Jenna and Sarah were next. They hugged Josh at the same time. "Happy Birthday, dude," Sarah told him. "Fuck everyone else we had fun together."

"We love you, Josh," Jenna told him. "Happy Birthday."

"Thanks," he forced a smile on his face as he walked them to the door.

"See ya," Sarah told him. "Bye Tyler!"

"Bye guys!" Tyler called.

Josh shut the door behind them and leaned against it, his eyes closed.

Then, he broke down crying.

"Josh?" Tyler asked, surprised. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"I'm sorry," he told Tyler. Tyler watched Jim slowly walk over and sit by Josh, looking at the red haired man in confusion. "I'm so sorry."

"No," Tyler stood up and walked over. "You don't have to be sorry for anything. What happened?"

"Ever since I called Brendon out at Ashley's our friend group has been falling apart and I knew you were scared of us crumbling. That's why I didn't tell you what happened at the party. I knew you were scared. I did it anyway and I was a dick to you, Jenna, Sarah, Dallon, and Ashley. I was rude to Brendon too but that fucker can go choke," he let out a sob. "I fucking hate him. This was my 18th birthday and I just wanted to have a good time with my friends and all I could think about was what an asshole I am. I just wanted all my friends here and that didn't even happen. I deserve it though."

"Josh..." Tyler sighed, pulling his best friend off the door and into a hug, rubbing his back. "You are not an asshole and you didn't deserve to have a shitty time. Look at me," Josh pulled back and looked at Tyler with teary eyes. His eyes were puffy and red as well and his cheeks were blotchy, tear tracks on them. "Don't talk about my best friend like that. I've known you for almost a decade. I know you're not an asshole. You have a heart of gold, Josh. You care about you friends that's why you snapped and told everyone at Ashley's you wanted to protect Sarah and Dallon. Although it wasn't the best idea to call him out in front of everyone, our group was going to break off in a couple months anyway. At least now everyone had a reason to and it wasn't just shitty excuses pertaining college. Besides, now we know the type of person Brendon is."

"I just feel like it's my—"

"Don't fucking say it," Tyler warned. "Do not say it's your fault. It's Brendon's."

"Okay," Josh nodded, tears still streaming down his face. He wiped them with the back of his hand. "Thank you, Tyler. I love you."

"I love you too," he looked at Josh, a serious look on his face. "But if you ever talk shit about my best friend I will beat your ass, understand? My Pokémon stats may not be very good but I love my friend Josh and I'd do anything for him."

Josh let out a laugh, giving Tyler another hug. "I don't deserve you."

"Yeah you do, shut up. You're being sappy," Tyler joked. "Now, c'mon. I'm gonna save your night. You're gonna have a good 18th birthday even if I have to take seven shots, get drunk, and dance on a table."

"Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise."

"I like surprises," Josh cracked a smile. "Okay, let me just go to bathroom and not look like a mess. I'll be out in five," Josh began to walk off but stopped. "Would you let Jim out to go to the bathroom? If he pisses in the house he'll be out of here by tomorrow."

"Okay," Tyler nodded as he continued to the bathroom. He glanced at Jim who was sitting on the ground, by his feet. He hadn't moved since coming over to Josh a few minutes prior. Tyler looked at him with a look on his face. This look wasn't necessarily disgust but it was more so uncomfortable confusion. Tyler wasn't a dog person. He's never had a dog (his parents complained the hair and smell would get all over their expensive ass stuff) and he didn't know what to do with a dog. "Uhh. Hello, Jim," he waved. "Why am I being formal you're a dog," he thought for a moment. "Josh do I need a leash or can I just let him out?" He yelled.

"Just let him out I closed the gate earlier and the fence will stop him from getting out!" He hollered back.

"Okay!" Tyler walked over to the back door in Josh's kitchen and opened it. Jim followed but sat on the ground, looking at Tyler in confusion. "Go to the bathroom," he told the dog. "Go!"

Jim didn't move.

"Jim," Tyler whined. "Go to the bathroom," he pointed to the open door. "Go outside!"

Josh came into the kitchen and laughed at the scene. "Jim, go potty."

Jim ran out to door.

"What the fuck?" Tyler looked at Josh in disbelief.

"I don't know," Josh shrugged.

After Jim was back inside they made sure everything in the house was good before walking out the front door, Josh locking the door behind him. They headed over to Josh's car and when they got in Tyler noticed the look of excitement on Josh's face. "Are you excited?"

"Yes," Josh smiled.

"Good," Tyler smiled back.