40. Acceptance

"I really don't want to go home," Josh sighed as he and Tyler rolled their suitcases out to the latter's car.

"Me neither," Tyler replied, unlocking his door so they could put their things in. After they had their luggage in, the two got in the front and Tyler started it. He cranked the air conditioning on to combat the 95 degree temperature.

Josh began talking again as Tyler pulled out of the driveway. "I think I'm gonna fucking melt," he fanned his face.

"I can't even make a joke about how attractive you are I think my brain is malfunctioning," Tyler sighed, making his way down the long road they had used to get up here.

Shortly after, the air conditioning filled the car and it wasn't as hot anymore. The two remained quiet for awhile, letting the noise of the cold air surround them.

"I love you," Josh suddenly spoke.

"I love you too," Tyler replied back.

"I told my parents about us."

"Wait what?" Tyler glanced at Josh before looking back at the road. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I dunno it didn't come up."

"Josh that kind of stuff just doesn't not come up."

"My dad flipped shit over Ashley's hair and I was ranting and told him we were dating and my mom was in the room. I went to my room after and I've been avoiding them ever since," he explained in a quiet voice, twiddling his thumbs.

"J..." Tyler replied softly. Josh didn't look up. "Hey, I'm proud of you," he continued. "We've already established your dad is a dick. I'm sure your mom will accept you she's not the type of person that wouldn't."

"I know but it's just hard. I'm not trying to come off as an asshole by saying this but you're not close with your parents or at least one them. If they think any different of you it's doesn't really matter to you. If my mom decides to think any different of me it could fuck up our whole relationship, y'know?"

"No I get it," Tyler responded. "But I truly believe your mom won't care either way. She knows me and she knows how close we already were. The only thing different is now we have a label and we kiss and hold hands."

"And have sex," Josh interjected making Tyler laugh.

"And have sex but she doesn't have to know that," the brunette shook his with a smile.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I just didn't want to think about it."

"Don't be sorry. I just want you to know you can tell me anything, okay?"

"Okay," Josh nodded.

---

"I love you, alright? Let me know how it goes. If you need to escape, call me and we can go somewhere," Tyler said to Josh as the blue haired rested his arms on Tyler's door, the window open.

"I love you too," Josh leaned in a kissed him lightly on the lips before pulling back. Tyler rolled up his window and waved to Josh with a smile as he backed out.

He stood in his driveway, suitcase behind him. He knew his dad was still at work since it was only two thirty but he had no idea if his mom was home because the garage was shut, not allowing him to see whether or not her SUV was parked in there.

Taking a shaky breath, he made his way towards his front door, his suitcase following behind him. He opened the door and for what felt like the billionth time that summer, he was met with Jim who had been happily waiting for him. "Hi, Jim," he smiled softly as his golden retriever wagged his tail. Josh bent over and Jim licked his face, making him let out a small laugh. "I missed you too," he chucked.

"Josh?" A gentle voice called.

The mentioned felt his heart stop and speed up all the same time. A second later his mom walked into the room, a worried expression on her face. "Uh, yeah?" Josh swallowed, not meeting her eye.

"We haven't really seen you around much the past few days— even before you left," Laura pointed out.

"I've just been busy," he mumbled as he pet Jim.

"Can we talk?" She asked, the worried look turning into sadness. "On the couch?"

"Sure," he let out a sigh and followed his mom to the piece of furniture. He knew he wouldn't be able to get out of this and the sooner they talk about it the sooner they can get over it. They sat down and Josh still stared at the ground. "What do you want to talk about?"

"Joshua, look at me," Laura said sternly. She rarely used his full name and her tone scared Josh. It wasn't rude but it was demanding. The blue haired looked up and saw her eyes were filled with tears. "I love you so much," she told him in a much more gentle tone, grabbing his shaking hands. "I don't care about any of that stuff you said the other day but I especially don't care who you date. You're still the same Josh to me, okay honey? I don't know what this makes you and I've never had to deal with this before but I no doubt accept you and I'm trying to understand it all. I might be a little confused and I just need you to help me with that because this is tough for me too," she laughed out, letting go of one of Josh's hands I'm favor of wiping both her cheeks before grabbing it again.

Josh processed the words his mom told him and felt what seemed like a 500 pound weight lift off his shoulders. Tears filled his own eyes. "Thank you," he pulled his hands out and hugged her tightly. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you before. I still don't know what am I. I know I like girls still. I think I'm just 'Josh who likes girls but also likes Tyler,'" he explained, using the same reasoning Hayley had used before. They broke away and they both had tears on their cheeks. The two laughed at the same time before wiping their cheeks.

"That's okay," Laura told him. "I'm just happy that you're happy. I know Tyler's a great kid and you guys will treat each other right."

An unsettling feeling overcame Josh and he felt a pit in his stomach as he remembered something. "What about Dad?"

"Um," his mother began. "Your father and I have talked and he said he's going to try and accept you. He apparently still 'can't wrap his head around why you do what you do' or why you'd 'want to be with a boy when it's sinful and wrong'", she told him, using quotations. "But he said he was going to try because he wants to be a part of your life still. If he can't come to terms with it then I can't come to terms with him," Laura simply shrugged. "We've been together 23 years and never once in that time have I considered divorcing him but if he can't accept you then I can't be with him. He knows that too. I gave him the ultimatum."

Josh let out a sob but it wasn't a sad one. "I love you, Momma," he told her, the tears returning and slipping down his face. "Thank you for everything."

She pulled him in for another hug. "Of course, honey. That's what moms are for."