16. Dog

Josh had just gotten out of the shower when he noticed something was sitting in his bed.

A dog.

Towel wrapped around his torso and water heavily dripping from his body due to him never drying off, he walked over to it. He saw there was a box on the side with a note on top.

Happy Birthday, baby. I just wanted to let you know your father, your siblings, and I have already left for Grandma's by the time you see this. I know we bothered you all day but I wanted to give you one last present before your special day was over. It took a lot of convincing for your dad to let you have this so please take care of it. We'll see you tomorrow. I love you.

- Mom

P. S. he's a boy

Josh cracked a smile and glanced at the dog. "Hey there boy," he stuck his hand out to the animal and he sniffed the hand in return. The dog let out a happy bark and licked his hand making Josh laugh. "I didn't know I was gonna be surprised with you today. My name is Josh but you're also a dog and you don't care."

The dog barked once again, almost in agreement, making Josh's smile grow even wider. "Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and get dressed don't look, mister," he joked. "I'm fucking talking to a dog I'm losing it."

The whole time Josh got dressed his dog ran around the bed in a circle, occasionally jumping up and down. If Josh couldn't tell from his small size he was a puppy he could definitely tell by how hyper he was. As Josh was drying his hair off with his towel, now dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, his dog began nudging at the box with his nose. He barked impatiently.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," he chuckled and he walked back over to his bed, setting the towel down and picking up the box. Opening it up his eyes landed upon the items in it. It contained a leash, collar, and bag of treats. There was another note from his mom and he smiled. Dog food and bowls are already in the kitchen. He's potty trained so make sure to just let him out. She was always prepared.

"You want a treat, boy?" Josh asked, making his dog perk up and bark once more. He opened the bag and set the treat on his bed, the dog eating it up right away. "You need a name..." he pondered for a moment, thinking of all his favorite things to maybe name his pet after. "Spooky? No. Brownie? Ew. Tyler?" He busted out laughing. "Just kidding," still in thought, his favorite TV show came to mind. The Office. "Dwight? No I actually like you. Michael? That's a weird dog name. Jim?"

The dog cocked his head to the side. Josh chuckled. "Jim it is," he smiled. "Welcome to the family Jim."

Josh picked his phone up, going to his phone and calling his mom. It rang for a few seconds before she answered. "Hey, honey. Is everything okay?"

"I love you," Josh immediately said.

Laura laughed. "I love you too."

"His name a Jim."

"You already have a name?"

"Yes," Josh spoke. "I started talking to him like a weirdo and didn't have anything to call him. I thought about Jim Halpert and here we are."

Suddenly, the doorbell rang and Josh glanced at the clock on his nightstand. 4:57. Three minutes before the time his friends would be here. Hayley, Ashley, Jenna, and Sarah were all leaving at nine but Tyler was staying the night. "I heard the door bell I'll let you go," Laura told him and he could hear the smile in his mother's voice.

"Okay," he grinned. "I love you again. Thank you."

"Love you too, baby. See you tomorrow."

"Bye," Josh hung up. "Just a minute!" He yelled to whoever was at this doorstep. His phone let out a chime and glanced down, seeing he a had a text from Dallon.

Happy Birthday, dude. I'm sorry about the whole thing with Brendon and how distant I've been lately. I just feel like it's all my fault and I could have prevented this. I hope you had an awesome day and an have an even better night (:

Josh replied with a quick thanks and saw he had two other texts he had missed. His eyes scanned them and he saw ones from Pete and Meagan wishing him happy birthday. They were delivered a minute apart and he assumed they were together.

He let out a sigh, feeling like it was actually his fault. It was in no way Dallon's, it was mainly Brendon's, but Josh knew he had a part in it as well. He didn't have to call him out in front of everyone and slowly cause the friend group to decompose. He could have handled it privately without it affecting everyone else.

The doorbell rang again and Josh took a deep breath to avoid overthinking and crying. Jim was going crazy, running around in a circle once again but this time by the door. Josh opened the door and Jim bolted down the steps, Josh shakily following.

He put a fake smile on and opened the door and Jim ran up to the person standing there, sniffing their leg. Josh looked up and locked eyes with Hayley. "Holy shit! You got a dog?" She shoved her gift bag into Josh's hand and bent down, scratching Jim's ear. "It's a golden retriever too oh my God I'm gonna cry. Is it a boy or girl? Do you have a name yet? Why did you get him? Why didn't you tell me? How—"

"Woah slow down," Josh told her. "He's a boy. His name is Jim. My parents got him for me today and I literally got out of the shower and saw him sitting on my bed. I didn't tell you because I didn't have the chance."

Hayley looked up. "You named him Jim?"

Josh blinked. "Yes."

"Umm okay," she looked back down. "You're coming home with me later and your new name is Finn don't let him fool you," she whispered in Jim's ear making Josh laugh.

"Come inside you loser," he shook his head. "C'mon Jim," he pat his knees and Jim ran back inside. "Good boy!" He shut the door and walked over to the coffee table, setting his gift bag on top. "Where's your other half?"

"She stopped to get your present last minute. You know her," Hayley explained. "Am I the first one here?"

"Yes because you came early you bitch."

"Damn I thought Tyler would be first. He lives here, doesn't he?"

"Very funny," Josh said, voice dripping with sarcasm.

The doorbell rang again and this time when he opened it, Tyler, Sarah, and Jenna were all in his door step. Ashley was walking up towards the porch.

Hayley appeared behind him. "Let the party begin!"