Prolouge #2: The First Materialisation

12 years ago

12 years ago...

Over time, it got easier for Artemis to be away from the life she yearned for. After all, being a human was a far wisp of a wish, only unburied in her dreams. A goddess is what she is, and her father was right; it was time to grow up. Her days had been spent roaming the sacred forests with her nymphs, protecting and hunting the wild animals there. She also became the protector of women and young children, taking away disease and guarding over them when no one else could. Her nights were different though. She spent them watching over the daughter and man she loved, and crying gallons of tears for the life she was not blessed to be living. In response her precious Were's and Lycan's howled to her from deep down below, feeling the burden of their creator's pain.

She found much heartache in watching over her love, trying to remain strong for the three girls he has in remembrance of his dead lovers, but crying his mortal heart out at night. When she could feel the pain becoming too much for him to bare, she swiftly sent him to sleep, and bestowed sweet dreams upon him.

Phoebe was another matter. Although she was incredibly beautiful and an angel at times, she was also a rather bossy and independent child, who hated the word 'no'. Many a time Artemis had to stop her from screaming to give her poor love a rest. She also had to make sure her goddess qualities became dormant, otherwise her father and nurses would start to get suspicious when she became amazingly strong and dominant for her age. To prevent Phoebe being taken away from her father to be raised as lycan royalty, or any problems to arise in the world of humans, Artemis enchanted Phoebe's Goddess, lycan side to become dormant until she has mated with a full-blooded lycan male. She will always have a lycan-shaped hole in her heart, until she finds someone to surreptitiously fill it. She is free to love whoever her heart desires, but she must choose a strong man from the slim category her mother gave her. This her mother would explain when she was older.

On Phoebe's fifth birthday Artemis first revealed herself. Living in the world of dreams and wishes, she heard Phoebe's soul call out to her, tugging at her heart when she blew out the candles of her Princess cake. Her wish came crawling, whispering in her ear, calling for a mummy. In a moment of weakness, and a deep yearning to fix her baby's wobbling lip and cloudy, innocent electric-blue eyes, she materialised herself to her daughter's bedroom. As this was a spur of the moment kind of thing, she didn't have time to choose a suitable body to possess, meaning she appeared as a bright glow of white and delicate features to her tiny daughter.

Phoebe was transfixed by the angel in her room, seemingly floating around in a ball of light. Was she a star? An angel? But deep down, somewhere within her, Phoebe knew that this was her mother. She wasn't scared, and didn't call for her daddy or her one of her sisters. She was safe.

"Mummy? I knew you were an angel, daddy told me!" Phoebe squealed, sitting up in her fluffy pink bed.

"Luna darling, yes I am your mother. I heard your wish and came to visit you."

Phoebe nodded shyly, hiding behind her baby blanket with the soft white bunnies on, gripping the fabric tightly. She may not be scared, but she was shy. Her mother was ethereal with waterfalls of long blonde hair flying past her tiny waist, and her eyes held so much love for Phoebe. But still, why hadn't she visited before? Was she a naughty baby?

"I'm sorry mummy for being bad. Will you come back now?" Phoebe asked softly, her glimmering blue orbs brewing with sadness, ready to drip down her soft baby cheeks. 

"Darling you weren't bad at all!  Mummy just has an... important job very far away. But I will always be here for you my beautiful little girl." Artemis heartbrokenly explained, moving to encase her mortal daughter in love, after reading her hurricane of thoughts.

"Will you come back to my daddy now? He weally misses you." Phoebe pouts, still gloomy.

"I'm afraid I cannot, my child. But I will visit you in your dreams, just like I have all your life. And you shall know when I visit you, as your necklace will glow with power from the moon." Artemis explains, caressing her human carbon copy softly.

"My necklace has special moon powers mummy?" Phoebe questions, eyes alight with wonder and amazement.

"Yes my darling." Artemis chuckles.

"Wow! I can't wait to tell daddy! And Bells and Tam-Tam!" An overexcited Phoebe giggles, jumping on Artemis' lap, not noticing that she was still, in fact, planted on the bed.

"I'm afraid my darling, you cannot tell anyone. This is a mummy and Luna secret, not anyone else's ok?"

"Aww. Ok. Ooo! Can I show you my new dolly? Daddy got it for me because I am weally big now – I am five!" Phoebe exclaims, holding up four fingers.

Chuckling at her antics, Artemis settled in for a few precious moments with her delightful little girl, but she did not forget to cast a simple barrier on her tongue – no one shall find out about her nightly visits.

***

Edited